nitrate reactor necessary when feeding frozen foods?

ml708

• SRC Member

are nitrate reactors effective at removing nitrates?

those of you who have heavy feeding of frozen foods/heavily stocked tank, do you use a nitrate reactor? is it essential? or do you have other means of keeping the nitrates down.

I'm not referring to a FOWLR but a reef system where nitrate params are critical.

Not necessary. You might wanna try biopellet...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

+1 biopellet. Not by polyp lab , biopellet got alot brand. But i prefer np-biopellet. Go google search

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

mine is a ultra heavy feeding tank but NP biopellet is useless for me ... me running sulphur now the best nitrate reducer but the low ph affected kH drop in main tank so need kalk drip daily ... I have 2x oversize skimmer running but my nutrient still at very high side ... have try prodibio & brightwell carbon dosing but useless too ... dun think any carbon dosing can bring down nutrient level for a heavy feeding tank to ultra low level ...

• SRC Member

mine is a ultra heavy feeding tank but NP biopellet is useless for me ... me running sulphur now the best nitrate reducer but the low ph affected kH drop in main tank so need kalk drip daily ... I have 2x oversize skimmer running but my nutrient still at very high side ... have try prodibio & brightwell carbon dosing but useless too ... dun think any carbon dosing can bring down nutrient level for a heavy feeding tank to ultra low level ...

what kind of foods are you feeding?

is the pH drastically affected by the sulphur beads? how often do you need to change the beads?

what kind of foods are you feeding?

is the pH drastically affected by the sulphur beads? how often do you need to change the beads?

feeding few types of pellet 2~3 times daily, frozen brine & mysis 5 cubes 1~2 time daily, dry brine shrimp 1~2 time daily ...

never change sulphur bead just add it cos it will become smaller & smaller ... add about 1~2 years once ...

• SRC Member

feeding few types of pellet 2~3 times daily, frozen brine & mysis 5 cubes 1~2 time daily, dry brine shrimp 1~2 time daily ...

never change sulphur bead just add it cos it will become smaller & smaller ... add about 1~2 years once ...

for your two skimmers, do they compete with each other to remove the excess protein content in that one ends up working much more than the other? I heard of that happening in some cases and proteins were not removed efficiently as a result

for your two skimmers, do they compete with each other to remove the excess protein content in that one ends up working much more than the other? I heard of that happening in some cases and proteins were not removed efficiently as a result

yes ... me using Skimz SM251 & SK251 for my 1800L tank but SM251 doing better and SK251(cone) most of the time skim nothing ... if I turn off SM251 than SK251 will do all the job skimming crazily ... both skimmer rated for 3000L tank so consider overskim but when I feeding crazily NO3 still go very high 40~80ppm even running with SR but PO4 at 0.1~0.2 with rowaphos ...

I think I read in some where for no3 to be remove they need to remove po4 together. Let say if your po4 is low then no3 is high when they want to remove no3 unable bec due to low po4. Both need to be high in order to be more effective remove both.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk