T joint piping.

Evolutionz

• SRC Member
hey fellas, need some help here! im thinking if it is possible to get a T-joint so i can use my return pump to feed my chiller so i can save one pump's bill.
i use a eheim 1260 with a flow restricting valve, as i use only about 1/2 of eheim 1260's power, i might as well utilized it further by running it for my chiller.
sorry for the poor pic but you can see the green pipe with the valve, the pipe size is 25/34, i believe my chiller's pipe size should be 16/22 or 19/27. is there such a t joint pipe that will allow me to branch out a smaller pipe size?
was wondering if madpetz have the parts?
thanks.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

I dont think Ken has it.

You may want to try C328 at Clementi or Nanyang Aquarium at Jalan Kayu.

This kind of soft hose T-joint easily found in freshwater LFS.

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• SRC Member

Why dont you use the pvc t-connector instead. Proven and will not leak. From eheim 1262, just buy a 20mm male connector (cost a dollar or 2), and then buy a pvc t-connector. That's how i do for my tank. My eheim 1260 is feeding the chiller and FR.

• Like 1

I'm trying to do the same.

I've been thinking.

A) Pump - T-joint - chiller return and ball valve - refugium

B) pump - T-joint - chiller return and ball valve and skimmer

Which would be better?

The output of 1260 is 3/4" right? Which pipe would fit and which ball valves would fit?

Bro Evolutionz

I read that having a ball valve after the tee off to the refug or skimmer would be good as we can control the flow and would not damage the pump.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• SRC Member
I'm trying to do the same. I've been thinking. A) Pump - T-joint - chiller return and ball valve - refugium B) pump - T-joint - chiller return and ball valve and skimmer Which would be better? The output of 1260 is 3/4" right? Which pipe would fit and which ball valves would fit? Bro Evolutionz I read that having a ball valve after the tee off to the refug or skimmer would be good as we can control the flow and would not damage the pump. Thanks!
Output of 1260 is 20mm PVC pipping. U can use 20mm ball valve.

• SRC Member
Why do u need a t-joint? Can't the flow be like .. Return pump to chiller then chiller to main tank?
the flow into chiller if too fast, water can't be chilled down properly. U have chiller running all the time.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member
I'm trying to do the same. I've been thinking. A) Pump - T-joint - chiller return and ball valve - refugium B) pump - T-joint - chiller return and ball valve and skimmer Which would be better? The output of 1260 is 3/4" right? Which pipe would fit and which ball valves would fit? Bro Evolutionz I read that having a ball valve after the tee off to the refug or skimmer would be good as we can control the flow and would not damage the pump. Thanks!
Normally when u buy a skimmer, it comes with a pump. So u would use its pump for better efficiency. If u are to ditch its matching pump and use a higher rated pump and do a tee off with a ball valve at the input of a skimmer u can try experimenting it. But if yr skimmer original pump is needle wheel and u want to use a normal water pump. U will need to do some experiment. When u want to servixe yr skimmer, u shut off the ball valve to skimmer, this also stops flow to chiller and all yr water goes to display tank unchilled. I feel it's not worth the trouble as new skimmers now come with efficient dc pumps.

Power consumption

• SRC Member
I just ordered a 25mm t joint and 25 to 20mm hose reducer from ebay. Have been to almost all lfs ans alot hardware shop. Non sells this size.
Hi, u should try toh guan. Know the ying kwang plastics? Next to it is a shop selling all the valves.

Power consumption

Bro Evolutionz

Try hai Cheong plastics.

I got all my pvc fittings and pipings from them.

They got outlet at paya ubi and kallang.

Highly recommend. 25mm Tee I got from them.

They also have reducers not sure of the size though.

Normally when u buy a skimmer, it comes with a pump. So u would use its pump for better efficiency. If u are to ditch its matching pump and use a higher rated pump and do a tee off with a ball valve at the input of a skimmer u can try experimenting it. But if yr skimmer original pump is needle wheel and u want to use a normal water pump. U will need to do some experiment. When u want to servixe yr skimmer, u shut off the ball valve to skimmer, this also stops flow to chiller and all yr water goes to display tank unchilled. I feel it's not worth the trouble as new skimmers now come with efficient dc pumps.

Bro little burger

Thanks for the heads up and advice.

Yeah agree that the pumps in the skimmer are more than sufficient.

What I was meaning was the section/compartment in the sump.

I was not sure if I wanted to tee into the sump compartment or refugium compartment..

Sorry wasn't clear enough.. Paiseh

• SRC Member
Bro little burger Thanks for the heads up and advice. Yeah agree that the pumps in the skimmer are more than sufficient. What I was meaning was the section/compartment in the sump. I was not sure if I wanted to tee into the sump compartment or refugium compartment.. Sorry wasn't clear enough.. Paiseh
i think if the water is "processed" by the filters, skimmer etc, it should go to sump n pump back to the display tank. If it is unprocessed, then it should go to refugium for the plants to do nutrient exportation. As I have 2 down pipes and 2 sections of my sump for a skimmer zone and refugium zone, I have water from display tank to each of these zone to be processed n back up to display tank.

Power consumption

Next time don't buy from eBay. I sense you just wasted money. US ABS pipe sizes are different from our FIP sizes. I got an abs connector myself from US site for my current tank. Threading different and pipe size number correct but fitting diff by 1.5mm.

Then again you might be lucky. Let us know how it goes.

Such hardwares normally I go hai cheong or Enterprise hub near Toh guan. I am sure you can find such places in ubi defu and eunos. Admiralty also got too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Anyway abt return to chiller, I don't really care abt the flow through chiller etc logic. Used to but gave up because putting another correct flow rate pump just adds heat to the equation when the idea of modification is to reduce it.

Since it's an enclosed system running on cool Lightings like led I don't think it is gg to make a lot of diff anymore if u use slow or fast rated pumps for chiller. Return to chiller direct now works for me. Save money save the world save the earth (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

the piping size was correct!

the t joint (~$12) was of superb quality, the reducer (also $12) was not as good.

http://s966.photobucket.com/user/kalthuslee/media/20140321_212056_zps3595dee9.jpg.html'>20140321_212056_zps3595dee9.jpg

pic of the piping halfway done, after that simply just connect reduce to t joint and then chiller piping to reducer

http://s966.photobucket.com/user/kalthuslee/media/20140323_141208_zpsadf50fd6.jpg.html'>20140323_141208_zpsadf50fd6.jpg

now i save a pump using 40w, and get to adjust a higher flow for my chiller and reactor! (rowaphos now thumbling nicely!)

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :