Get rid of most algae Fast!!

diverxxx

I had a problem with brown and red algae when i first started to set up my marine tank and it was horrible.

I did some research and realized that there are a couple reason to algae bloom.

1) light

Do not turn on your lights for long period of time 6-8 hrs of white light per day

2) overfeeding

do not over feed your fishes and corals. use a feeding tube when feeding fishes and follow feeding dosage when feeding your corals

3) Phosphate remover

There are a couple product in the market out there to help remove phosphate in your tank. please read and follow the dosage accordingly.

4) Algae removal solution (algae killer)

Make sure you purchase one that if for saltwater use and remove any carbon filters

5)Introduce Algae Eating Animals

i have two turbo sails and a shelly crabs to keep algae at bay.

Well follow some of this step and you will get to get rid of your algae problem in no time.

• Like 1

Most new tanks have a diatom bloom before the nitrogen-fixing bacteria are cycled. All the things you mention are good, but a big bloom during cycling is normal until your bacteria compete with the algae for nutrients.

You can add...

Establish a good natural nutrient transport/absorbing system.

- introduce easy to harvest and acceptable aesthetically looking algae to compete with the nuisance algae. This can also include mangrove and other plants.

- use clams (or oysters, I tried that in my old system, though I heard they are good in consuming nitrates but also too much calcium).