New to this hobby! And I killed a colt.

Hi all!

I'm new to this hobby as I decided to add a SW tank beside my FW tanks!

Had been cycling the tank for around 2 weeks right now, and I guess I'm having a bacteria bloom because my water turned cloudy after water change (isit normal?).

Current Nano tank set up:

- 5Gal

- Eheim 2028 canister filter

- Skimz SH1

- T5 actinic & white light

- Live Sand, Live rock

A few days ago, my friend gave me a pink colt coral, and it seems pretty fine (I know I got to wait till the cycling is over), however, 12 hours after the water change, it just turn brown, piak and died. Thought its able to survive, as my small colony of zoas and mushrooms did.. I know I got to wait, but my hand itchy. Oops

Unlikely to be bacteria boom unless it is triggered by something else. Water change water turns a little cloudy is common. Was your newly mixed water cloudy or crystal clear before you change?

The newly mixed water was crystal clear.. Is there a technique to change the water? Like letting it sit for hours before hand and stuff. I added salt to DI water, tested the alk, stir it, sit like 5 mins and i just siphon in..

How much water volume you change?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

10-20%, and before that, my zoas are perfectly fine. They're wide open and they are closed now ):

I must have did something wrong somewhere

Try not to put any live stock in before cycling is completed, 'cause most won't make it.

Regretted it. So ya, I've transferred the zoas and mushrooms to my friend's tank.

One more question.

I've converted this 5 gal to SW from a shrimp tank, and now I find that it's really tiny with my canister of a similar size and skimmer taking 1/4 of the tank.

I'm changing to a 45gal one, and do I transfer the sand, liverocks and water over or start everything anew?

• SRC Member

Donr put any Livestock in When cycling Bro..Getting a small powerhead to circulate your new SW Would be better..Also when siphoning in put a sponge or filtersock at the at the end of the pipe..so "If" There is still particles..in it..will filter out....

• Like 1

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Ahh, cause aft a week of cycling, I thought of adding some hardy corals. Oh well. Lesson learnt.

your Not The Only one lol..Learning Cycle :)..Haha..Btw Welcome To Reefing

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

One more question.

I've converted this 5 gal to SW from a shrimp tank, and now I find that it's really tiny with my canister of a similar size and skimmer taking 1/4 of the tank.

I'm changing to a 45gal one, and do I transfer the sand, liverocks and water over or start everything anew?

Yes, you can transfer them over, but you'd probably need to get more LR & sand 'cause 5 gal compared with 45 gal is like a teaspoon to a glass of water. Also need to make more salt water to top up. The net result would be like starting the cycle over.

I guess a 45 gal tank would be about the size of a 2 ft cube. I encourage you to consider a sump to ease maintenance effort & hide your tank equipment.

Ahh, cause aft a week of cycling, I thought of adding some hardy corals. Oh well. Lesson learnt.

You are not alone... Nottin seriously wrong about getting excited and impatient... Just waste money and of course a little cruel to LS...

Yes, you can transfer them over, but you'd probably need to get more LR & sand 'cause 5 gal compared with 45 gal is like a teaspoon to a glass of water. Also need to make more salt water to top up. The net result would be like starting the cycle over.

I guess a 45 gal tank would be about the size of a 2 ft cube. I encourage you to consider a sump to ease maintenance effort & hide your tank equipment.

Oh, I thought a big canister and skimmer will do.. What else do I need?

You are not alone... Nottin seriously wrong about getting excited and impatient... Just waste money and of course a little cruel to LS...

Can't wait to get my inverts. Guess I got to wait for months ):

• SRC Member

Oh, I thought a big canister and skimmer will do.. What else do I need?

Can't wait to get my inverts. Guess I got to wait for months ):

A sump would allow you to clean media & filter more easily than a canister filter on a regular basis.

Read about other forumers' tank setup. It contains interesting discussions on their selection & choice of equipment used in their sump.

a canister filtre system is not very good for SW setup, it will be a problem than a solution, soon the canister will be a nutrient factory.

Do consider alternatives to canister.

I've placed biofilter, PUR II (to control ammonia & nitrate, as written on the packaging) and filter.

Is there any way to make it less of a problem?

Sorry for such a junk question, :P

If u r asking for a solution that involves a canister filter, no.

Do consider to add a sump to your setup, many benefits w a sump. If u can't or dun want to drill holes in your main tank, there r solutions to introduce a overflown system

Posted Image

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8

If u r asking for a solution that involves a canister filter, no.

Do consider to add a sump to your setup, many benefits w a sump. If u can't or dun want to drill holes in your main tank, there r solutions to introduce a overflown system

banner_9.aspx?id=kraken&t=8

Okay.. I just thought, since I have live rock and skimmer, I used canister to run the carbon and etc.

Thanks for the advice!