Planning on setting up a 4th tank

Hi guys, have been lurking around this forum for the past 1 year. My new place will most prolly be ready next year and am contemplating on moving from FW to SW setup.

Currently in the process of planning and hopefully can make it happen. Need to submit budget and proposal for CO to approve :blush:

Will be going for LPS and maybe SPS in future after getting the hang of it.

Current equipment list

Glass tank dimension : 4ft x 2ft x 50cm height ( 1 length low iron glass for viewing )

Lighting : Maxpect Razor 160w 16k ( not sure if the 2 extreme end will have any problem receiving sufficient light )

Chiller : Most probably a 1hp compressor with drop-in coil ( new place easier to do trunking )

Wave : Vortec MP40w

SUMP:

Skimmer : Most probably Deltec

Pump : Eheim pump x 2 ( 1 for backup ) Still considering whether to use the pump underwater or out of water ( any recommendation?)

Refugium : Going DSB with live rock and maybe chaeto?

Biopellet reactor : JNS Omega ( I thought it would be fun to have something spinning around in the sump :D )

Kalk reactor / calcium reactor ?? Still need some reading on this. Seems to have mixed review on both. Will appreciate if anyone willing to share their experience with me.

Not sure if I've left anything out. Any recommendation on how I can improve? Any recommendation on equipment? Anything that I might need or no need? or anything important that you think would help a first timer like me? Thanks in advance!

Really nice choice of equipment, u seem all ready! How about adding a reactor for phosphate remover media? An auto top off system? Any filter sock/ Filter wool? Perhaps a chamber for biomedia (probably not necessary if u already have DSB + Live rocks in sump)

I'm sure the 160w will be fine for 4ft, u could hang it higher, and go for more intensity of the leds. For return, internal or external, i guess it depends on how much plumbing u want + how much space u have. Both do the same job afterall. External good as it reduces the heat generated in the tank, you wont have to deal with scrubbing off coralline algae, if it so happens to grow on. Internal pump will be my preference, I just don't like the idea of something leaking and flooding my house, Also if u plan on going external pump, make sure u get ball valves to control the return so u can take it out for servicing.

Alternative to calcium or kalk reactor is dosing system.

Good luck, you'll enjoy your tank for sure.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

woah bro looks like you have All the bell's and whistle's..Really Really good choice of equip..can see You been reading alot..that will help alot too..i would say go for a calcium reactor..im running one..Keeps Things Stable for a real long time..Cheaper for the long run..Good choice for lights im running 2 units..as for the corner hang higher and increase %For A-B Channel's..Haha i bet your tank will rock..good equip,patience =Beautifull Reef! :D..

Equip You should consider

1-Rowa/Phosphate Reactor

2-Filter socks

3=ATO Auto Top System

cheers!

• Like 1

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Martian : haha 1x good 1 so no need headache and keep switching or replacing equipment in future. Hopefully enough budget for the setup.

tofubox : Thanks bro. For the biomedia chamber you mentioned, is it the same as the biopellet reactor that I'm planning to get? My guess is both are biological filtration since both have the BIO word in front :dunno:

ASHWIN : Nice to see you in this thread! I've been stalking your thread! Am a lover of Zoas as well! have planned filter socks and ATO with RODI as well. Havn't read up on phosphate reactor but will take a look at it! Seems to be a important piece of equipment to prevent algae issue.

Just a question, if I were to get a calcium reactor, do I still need a kalk reactor or dose kalk?

• SRC Member

using dosing part is more stable imo lol.

add 1 more wavemaker will be better !

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

Maybe you should make your tank high 50cm in height is too short if in future you wan go sps and you need more wave maker. And you going bare or sand bed if you put sand the tank height will be low. For return pump can go stronger flow rate one eheim is good but you can try reef octopus water blaster 3 yr warrenty on pump with around amount of price get you 10000/l pump.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Martian : haha 1x good 1 so no need headache and keep switching or replacing equipment in future. Hopefully enough budget for the setup.

tofubox : Thanks bro. For the biomedia chamber you mentioned, is it the same as the biopellet reactor that I'm planning to get? My guess is both are biological filtration since both have the BIO word in front :dunno:

ASHWIN : Nice to see you in this thread! I've been stalking your thread! Am a lover of Zoas as well! have planned filter socks and ATO with RODI as well. Havn't read up on phosphate reactor but will take a look at it! Seems to be a important piece of equipment to prevent algae issue.

Just a question, if I were to get a calcium reactor, do I still need a kalk reactor or dose kalk?

Haha Thanks For Viewing my Thread's.Bro.Kalk Reactor Dont need cause you Calcium Reactor Media Will Handle That..:)..

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

youdontknowme : Does the dosing method cause clogging issue easily?

Kakani : have be going sand bed but minimal. Don't really like bare bottom look, don't look very natural to me. Is 50cm really too short? have seems member with shallower tank than this. If I were to go deeper I doubt 1x 160w maxspect will be sufficient.

Do I really need 2 wavemaker if I'm planning to go SPS in future? Tank is only 4ft and with a vortech MP 40 and also from pump output still not enough flow? Will it be overkill to have another wave maker?

ASHWIN : That's a relief. Will go read up more on calcium reactor. Seems to be a pretty complicated equipment with co2 dosing and stuff. lol

Its complicated but once its up and running, pretty much stable and maintains your parameters well. Good thing about dosing is actually being able to be very precise with what u require. Also gives u more options in terms of what u can add to the tank. Alot of people like the balling method hence they go with dosing instead. Takes awhile to actually find the amount required to dose for your specific tank too. Used to run a CR, but i gave up and went with dosing in the end, not because i think CR is bad, but because i downgraded to a smaller tank, and a huge CR + Co2 Tank + PH Controller + Peristaltic Pump was just an overkill for me. Dosing was a cheaper alternative. With my nano tank, so much easier to control the parameters with dosing. For a larger tank, Cr is a good option.

I Love Stagsss

youdontknowme : Does the dosing method cause clogging issue easily?

Kakani : have be going sand bed but minimal. Don't really like bare bottom look, don't look very natural to me. Is 50cm really too short? have seems member with shallower tank than this. If I were to go deeper I doubt 1x 160w maxspect will be sufficient.

Do I really need 2 wavemaker if I'm planning to go SPS in future? Tank is only 4ft and with a vortech MP 40 and also from pump output still not enough flow? Will it be overkill to have another wave maker?

ASHWIN : That's a relief. Will go read up more on calcium reactor. Seems to be a pretty complicated equipment with co2 dosing and stuff. lol

My 2 cents, personnal i feel it too short idea will be 1.5ft if you want. If you put sand your wave maker cannot full blast bec will stir the sand. Yes you need more wavemaker if in future you wan to keep sps. Got friend with 4ft tank use 3 vortex mp40 and 2 tunze.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kakani : if I'm right, what you meant is the ideal height is 1.5ft? 1.5ft is 45cm if I'm not mistaken, so the planning dimension of 50cm is slightly higher than a 1.5ft. That's really a lot of wave maker for a 4ft. Don't think I'll need that much, 2 at most. Thanks for the recommendation bro

• SRC Member

was wondering if anybody knows how much will a 4ft x 2ft x 1.5ft height braceless and with 1x front panel low iron glass cost? PM me and thanks in advance!

i got my 4x2x1.5ft height braceless ( front panel crystal glass ) + sump 3x1.5x1.5ft for 434$ excluding delivery of 120$.

the sump cost about 60-80 if my memory didnt fail me :thumbsup:

if want cabinet, checked the price from various tank makers, roughly in the range of 600-700$ :drunk:

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

forgot to add, + overflow is tinted black. :thumbsup:

some tank maker charges it for another 40$

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

Patient is the key to reef keeping. ..

:agreed: x10000K :P