IOS tank or not

Dont forget, Large tank pros: more stable, Cons: Higher cost of running and initial set up, I.e larger chiller, lightings, pumps, skimmer.

My recommandation is maximise your budget and try to get above average equipment before deciding on a 4ft vs 3ft vs 2ft.

• Like 1

I Love Stagsss

Dont forget, Large tank pros: more stable, Cons: Higher cost of running and initial set up, I.e larger chiller, lightings, pumps, skimmer. My recommandation is maximise your budget and try to get above average equipment before deciding on a 4ft vs 3ft vs 2ft.
Agree with this point. 600k to buy a 5 room with basic renovation and furniture Versus 450k for 4 room plus 150k worth of renovation+ furniture Versus 350k for 3 room plus 250k worth of high end renovation plus high class furniture. Haha. Pardon the lame analogy but yar. Choose ur budget to get better equipment. Also mean u get more spare cash to buy higher end livestocks and corals. :D

Yes.I second what bro tofu say. Initial cost is indeed not cheap but if u r really into this hobby then don't hesitate to start right straight away. I 2years change from 1ft cube to 2ft cube then 5ft and I'm very contented w what I have. If given me a choice again then I wont waste money and straight go for my 5ft.

Yes.I second what bro tofu say. Initial cost is indeed not cheap but if u r really into this hobby then don't hesitate to start right straight away. I 2years change from 1ft cube to 2ft cube then 5ft and I'm very contented w what I have. If given me a choice again then I wont waste money and straight go for my 5ft.

CestTresBon has a point. I went through the same process. I had a 3ft, than downgrade 2ft, now back to 4ft. But would i have rather just gone to the 4ft right away? Probably not.

Theres 2 reasons for this:

As a new hobbies, u tend to make the most mistakes if you do not equip yourself with the correct knowledge and patience. So starting out with a bigger tank straight off will indeed be much more costly overall if you happen to make a mistake along the way. Give for example, the simple analogy of having a pest introduced in your tank. The cost of tearing down a 2ft tank to eradicate pest , safe to say will be about 1/4 that of tearing down a 5ft tank. Just remember the larger you go, almost everything doubles or triples in price.

Second reason is pretty much obvious, you wont know if you actually like this hobby.

My recommandation end of the day, is really to get an averaged size tank that you can handle alone and fits into your budget. You will slowly realise that a marine tank will occupy a lot of your time. Keep it for some time, learn how to maintain good coral and fish health. When the time comes, trust me, you will be fully prepared and will be planning for the absolute best and perfect setup for the upgrade. I spend months planning for the 4ft tank, trying to get everything right and making sure the equipments chosen were suitable. (i.e, Calcium reactor or dosing pump? Internal or external overflow? Wavebox or powerheads? What size sand? refugium required? etc etc ) I know of my fellow reefer friend that spent a year designing he's tank and cabinet. Turned out to be the best looking tank i've come across.

I believe many here, if given the choice, would like to have something done differently to their tank design if they were to make it again.

I Love Stagsss