Planning to start a FOWLR tank !

Hey marine hobbyist !

I'm planning to start a 3ft x 2ft x 2ft tank .

Still a teenager so kinda low on budget !

Hence may I ask what are the recommended brands and items that I could purchase that is affordable and not pricey . Appreciate each individual's reply !

Detailed explanation on step by step on what should I do and all will be great as well ! Like processes and all, EG. How much live rock should I have, what fishes could be kept tgr, can I keep clean up crew if I don't have any corals .

Thank you in advance !

Cheers !

Hi there, I'm still new too from what I learnt from this forum and online, reef octopus skimmers is quite reliable and affordable.

Live rocks probably the more the merrier, try to get from a fellow reefer so that it's cheaper.

Remember to cycle the tank, and Add fishes slowly and you're good to go I guess.

Compaitability check out live aquaria

For my setup I have only a skimmer and wavemaker. As long as you don't overstock should be fine

Hi there, I'm still new too from what I learnt from this forum and online, reef octopus skimmers is quite reliable and affordable.

Live rocks probably the more the merrier, try to get from a fellow reefer so that it's cheaper.

Remember to cycle the tank, and Add fishes slowly and you're good to go I guess.

Compaitability check out live aquaria

For my setup I have only a skimmer and wavemaker. As long as you don't overstock should be fine

Hey ! Thanks for replying me !

You don't have a chiller ? How do you keep the temperature at 24-26 then ? How big is your tank as well ?

How often do you check for nitrates, nitrites, ph, salinity and others ?

Any knowledge if fwolr tanks can keep any corals ? Like those hardy that we don't have to really care about them .

I keep a fowlr, my temperature is around 27 28 highest, will on the fan when the lights go on to keep it low. My tank is 4ft x1.5 x2.

I just started but my clown seems to be doing well.

I don't really check them very often, except when cycling.

Sorry I know nothing about corals haha.

I keep a fowlr, my temperature is around 27 28 highest, will on the fan when the lights go on to keep it low. My tank is 4ft x1.5 x2.

I just started but my clown seems to be doing well.

I don't really check them very often, except when cycling.

Sorry I know nothing about corals haha.

Haha . From what I have read and read they said is better for a chiller in the Long run . So maybe you should invest in one too ! As singapore's weather is really getting hotter ! I'm afraid of failing so I don't dare to take the chances ! What clown did you get ? I'm looking into true percula clown as well ! Maybe a pair hopefully they mate in the future ! Then we will be successful . Haha !

Price of the fish doesn't mind anything, most importantly you must like and enjoy the fish.

Yea that's true, but actually I was mentioning about the chiller haha. Think I wasn't clear enough!

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407334750.942397.jpg

Here haha. This is an old tank that I used for freshwater. The clown is at the bottom right corner, gonna get him a partner some time Soon haha

Nice scape over there !

But is it not advisable to not give them any hiding place ? Haha it seems kinda bad for them to be out in the open always .

A freshwater tank?? What about the sump ? Do you have one ?

The clownfish is really unnoticeable , haha

No sump unfortunately, maybe will get an overflow next time. He sorta has a cave over that area, which has small openings for him to swim in and out.

So what filter method are you using currently ? I'm still in dilemma what tank should I get and what is the best filter method which has less work to do !

Just a skimmer and I do weekly water changes, I think for a 2ft a HOB is good and cheap? The lfs near my house sells this 800L/hr hob filter should be sufficient for you.

But the HOB might not fit all tanks if I'm not wrong, if there's the hood thingy on the top of the tank it would be hard !

Is it a marine fish shop ? Where is it ? I think I'm heading to seletar farm this weekend to research

Yishun618 they are a freshwater shop that I frequent in the past.

Seletar farms?? There have ah

Yeah ! There's a fish farm over there .

Is running a skimmer enough to remove impurities ? Why do you not require a filter ? Haha . But probably I will only do a monthly or 2-3 months water change once . So I need a good filter . :(

I'm used to water changes, used to do one every other day for my freshwater fish.

And cannisters are apparently bad for marine, so gonna do without first.

Could I have the name of the farm there ? Only know got freshwater one didn't know got marine

I'm used to water changes, used to do one every other day for my freshwater fish.

And cannisters are apparently bad for marine, so gonna do without first.

Could I have the name of the farm there ? Only know got freshwater one didn't know got marine

If I'm not wrong it's coral farm .

And I heard from someone the fishes there are better ! Haha .

But it's it troublesome to keep mixing salt and water ? How many pail do you change every week ?

• SRC Member

Let me chime in..but dont mind im a newbie too... i change 5 pail weekly... sometimes 3.. hopefully no back problem one day.. thought of buying big drum and long hose for easier maintance. But need to figure out where to keep after use. My tank now 422.