Water changes

• SRC Member
36 minutes ago, snake said:

I tried using only resins but my TDS is above 100! Do I need to rinse it before uss to achieve 0 TDS?

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

No need to rinse resin. The flow rate will have to be very low to achieve 0 TDS. I adjust mine to a trickle and collect the water in a container overnight. I collect about 6 litre overnight and TDS 0. One small cartridge of resin will give me about 100 litres of 0 TDS water. Of course if you use larger volume of resin you can increase the flow rate. Any pic of you DI unit? May be able to offer better suggestion after seeing it.

• SRC Member

I have a cabon cartridge followed by resin cartridge. As suggested by pcw a 5 mocron filter will be good. As for Yukok and who do not use carbon yes can also achieve 0 TDS. Research have indicated that chlorine and chloramine will cause the resin's effectiveness to be depleted faster. The carbon is meant to be a prefilter to remove them so that the resin will give you more 'mileage'. But then again the community is divided on this and the debate goes on. I have no answer why the TDS went up after going throught the resin. Maybe others can offer some insight.

• SRC Member

BTW I am enclosing a picture of the unit I am using. Bought from madpetz. As mentioned earlier one cartidge of resin is giving me an average of 100 litres of 0 TDS water. I will change the carbon once the volume of 0 TDS drops to about 50 litres to a cartridge. The volume of 0 TDS obtained will of course be affected by the TDS of the tap water. My tap water has a reading in the range of 70 - 90 TDS.

DI unit.jpg

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, oceanics said:

Oh btw am using a simple setup, mineral bottle filled with 300gm resins and 1 drop per sec. Do u think it works? 

Am trying out first by using just resins before getting a proper set. 

Bro reefbuilder can share hows ur setup? Thanks!

Can show a photo of your diy di unit will try and troubleshoot for you.