Skimmer - top up with fresh water or sea water?

asg

• SRC Member

Hmm... have this question in my kind for some times. If my skimmer skimed two cup of skimmate per week, shall i top up the tank with fresh or saltwater?

My feel is that it shall be saltwater but not 100% sure tho...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

bro, unless your skimmer have a very huge cup and your tank is vol is very small. i dont think it makes a huge difference.

also you tune wet skimmate?

Yes bro my tank is only2*1*1 about 65 litres and becos i often have to travel for two weeks so during the two weeks no water change but only water top up by family member. So the question is to top up fresh or salt water loh.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

The drawback of having a small tank is, the parameters can change very quickly.

I suggest top-up saltwater, but gradually.

You don't wanna change the salinity or any other parameters of the tank too quickly

There is a water level marking on my tunze 9002, so i ask my family to top up to the level daily. But last trip after i came back, the SG was at SG1.025 from the usual 1.023

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Are you using a chiller or fan?.. If you are using a fan the drop in water level could be due to evaporation... then just top up fresh water

If the drop in water level is due to the skimmer, i think you should replace it with salt water.

I know its quite hard to maintain the parameters since the volume of water in the tank is small.

I think if there is a small change in salinity, gradually over a long period of time, it wouldn't be too harmful

Senior reefers, correct me if i am wrong

• SRC Member

Are you using a chiller or fan?.. If you are using a fan the drop in water level could be due to evaporation... then just top up fresh water

If the drop in water level is due to the skimmer, i think you should replace it with salt water.

I know its quite hard to maintain the parameters since the volume of water in the tank is small.

I think if there is a small change in salinity, gradually over a long period of time, it wouldn't be too harmful

Senior reefers, correct me if i am wrong

I am using a chiller. Based on your suggestion and what the other bros said, i think i know why the SG goes up liao: water evaporation over two weeks (salinity up) and i top up with full strength water instead of lower SG water.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

This is funny, a gazzllion replies and none answered the question.

Top up with same salinity saltwater, whatever amount of skimmate you take out.

_-" thats what i thought and did too... but after topping up during a two weeks period (without WC), SG increased from 1.023 to 1.025... thus i am asking this question

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

My take is to top up with 50% of your salinity... Meaning of your salinity is at 1.024, you top up with 1.012... This is because your water evaporates probably as fast as your skimmer pulls out... You top up evaporated water with zero salinity, right?

Therefore if your evaporation is 3 times faster than your skimmate, then you'll need to top up water of 1/4 of 1.024, which is 1.006...

This observation is only my 2 cents worth...

Angel Keeper

• SRC Member

My take is to top up with 50% of your salinity... Meaning of your salinity is at 1.024, you top up with 1.012... This is because your water evaporates probably as fast as your skimmer pulls out... You top up evaporated water with zero salinity, right?

Therefore if your evaporation is 3 times faster than your skimmate, then you'll need to top up water of 1/4 of 1.024, which is 1.006...

This observation is only my 2 cents worth...

Angel Keeper

yes, i think i can start with this estimation and adjust the salinity after few rounds.

@Sept 2014