feeding LS with frozan brineshrimp

• SRC Member

Hi all, i use to rinse the frozen brineshrimps with tap water for 2~3 times before i feed them to my LPS. However, my friend told me that doing so will wash away all the "good stuff".

I rinse it becaused i believe the red colour liquid" will seriously contaiminate the water due to the high protein content in these "liquid" which cannot be consume by LPS or any other LS....

anyone could advise on this matter?

• SRC Member
You are doing the right thing. Those stuff are full of nutrient that can add to nuisance algae. however, washing it 3 times seem excessive. I normally just rinse it one time and use a toothpick to pick out the brineshrimp.

use toothpick? how? it will take a very long time rite? for me, i'll mix with tap water, wait till the frozen brineshrimps cube to melt and sink, then use syringe to suck out the water on the top... then repeate the whole things for 2 more times but using SW caused I'll target feed these BS to my LPS

• SRC Member
Hi all, i use to rinse the frozen brineshrimps with tap water for 2~3 times before i feed them to my LPS. However, my friend told me that doing so will wash away all the "good stuff".

I rinse it becaused i believe the red colour liquid" will seriously contaiminate the water due to the high protein content in these "liquid" which cannot be consume by LPS or any other LS....

anyone could advise on this matter?

hmmm...

i wonder how true iz thiz... :blink:

• SRC Member

This is what I did.

The BS collected can soak with garlic guard without diluting with water.

Don't be surprise that after washing 3 cube you left only 1 cube BS.

The coffee filter I use is fine enough to filter out the BS and big enough to wash away the nuisance staff away.

After rinse, shake the filter and the BS will stick together. Also, some dirty water still remain under the filter. You can completely dry it bu putting a tissue paper under it.

I have tried putting a scope to collect the water, and don't find BS being washed away.. Only find very fine dirt.

post-6-1078285042.jpg

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

My method is a bit like what chrislwp does. I thaw out 2 cubes mysis & 1 brime shrimp in a little distilled water, then it is put through a fine strainer. The water thrown away is always a little brown which shows the phosphate and other unwanted nutrients. I then pad the bottom of the strainer with tissue to get rid of most traces of moisture. DT is then added to the thawed out mysis and BS and target squirted to the tank inhabitants. I do this 3x a week.

Going to the strainer is a good idea. I may try it next time. While using my toothpick method, it takes me around 10secs. I normally use very little brineshrimp as I am understocking my tank. Also brineshrimp is not nutrition for the fish Mysis is better.

However, I use dry food most of the time and sushi for my Yellow tangs. I mean Nori. I buy it from Asia store here in US and tear it into small sheets and clip it on my tank. My YT love it.

When I QT my fish, I will add Garlic liquid into the dry food as well to strengthen their immune system. The YT love it too. Last time when my YT got ick, the garlic help.

Some people here also try Ginger liquid. Sooner or later, people will try Tiger beer :D