Calcium Level too high

Eric

• SRC Member

Hi guys, just measured my Calcium level and was shock to be 35 drops of regent 3 which is around 700mg/l (AZoo Ca test kit). Question : Will too high a calcium level cause harm to the SPS or LPS corals? What remedy action can be taken or should I just leave it or add in a few more Acros or clams to help consume the calcium?

• SRC Member

did you check your kH? .. might be quite low now..

CHanging water is better.. unless you know how much calcium your corals take in everyday.

Maybe change around 30-40%. It should bring down the cal level to 400-500

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Pls discard the idea of adding any more sps and clams into ur tank so as not to waste this delicate corals away :( . Before doing any remedy, get another reputable calcium test kit and test ur calcium level again. If the result is the same as the Azoo brand, perform a 20-30% water change. Chk Ca level again after tat, if still on the high side, perform another 10-20% water change a week later and in the meanwhile do nt dose any calcium and Kalkwasser. If u running a Ca reactor, better diasable it. Also do chk ur KH level to see if its low.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member
Pls discard the idea of adding any more sps and clams into ur tank so as not to waste this delicate corals away :( . Before doing any remedy, get another reputable calcium test kit and test ur calcium level again. If the result is the same as the Azoo brand, perform a 20-30% water change. Chk Ca level again after tat, if still on the high side, perform another 10-20% water change a week later and in the meanwhile do nt dose any calcium and Kalkwasser. If u running a Ca reactor, better diasable it. Also do chk ur KH level to see if its low.

KH is 10DKH, PH 8.5 which is quite stable for the past months. I think the Calcium high might be due to my Kalkwasser dosing of 2 teaspoon per day or 4L water top up before I recently bought a chiller.

Will change 20% water and stop the kalkwasser dosing. Thanks for the input.

BTW, what's the adverse impact on the corals if calcium is too high?