Air Bubbles From LR & Sandbed

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I have been noticing that my LR and sandbed ocassionally lets out air bubbles or different sizes and density.

Sometimes, the effect/period of the rising bubbles is prolonged and rather noticable. Sometimes, just a few bubbles here and there.

What are these bubbles and where do they come from? Are they good or bad? I am not using any undergravel filter. The bubbles come from both my LR and sandbed from all parts of the tank.

Can anyone help shed light on this phenomenon?

Thanks!

• SRC Member

its algae.. I had this problem before.. more serious under strong lights. Its photosysthesis.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
MNCL, its air bubbles that is coming out of the sandbed... got nuthing to do with bubble algae...

Its algae giving off gas due to photosysthesis. Happen when there is lights.

Try turning on strong lights for a whole day... you'll probably see lots of bubbles and sandbed will turn brown..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

marcvelous, it is probably denitrifying taking place such that its convert Nitrates back to nitrogen gas. I based this on the fact that you mentioned LR also and you never mentioned any nuisance algae. These bubbles are good sign that your LR is working good aand it is the natural function of the LR. How deep is your sandbed?

I never seen diatoms trap air bubbles before. Some nuisance algae like Cyano, Dino trap air bubbles but will not release it unless you disturbed it

Its algae giving off gas due to photosysthesis. Happen when there is lights.

Try turning on strong lights for a whole day... you'll probably see lots of bubbles and sandbed will turn brown..

I got that happening in my tank...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
[Try turning on strong lights for a whole day... you'll probably see lots of bubbles and sandbed will turn brown..

You are right, when it starts to turn brown with cyno, diatoms or red slime algae, then you will have something to worry about.

Normally this happens when you increase the lighting intensity (more lights or longer light on hours) and with heavy feedings, it will make it worse. When this happens you will need to reduce feedings, conduct water changes and siphon the algae etc. out. This is a very common problem for a lot of hobbyist unless you can balance your system very well, takes time, observe, experiment and learn.

• SRC Member

Hi All...

Thank You All...

and Sighzzz All...

Some people say it's algae, some people say it's denitrifying taking place. How to be more certain?

No offense to some reefers but would appreciate if no one makes any one-liner's that doesn't contribute to the discussion of the problem, i.e."I also got this" or "pics please" (haven't happen yet).

Some points to note:

1. It's not some sort of bubble algae that I can remove manually

2. The bubbles come from both my LR and sandbed

3. I did not disturb either my LR or sandbed and still there are gas bubbles being released

4. My sandbed is approx 5~6" thick

5. I do not have algae problem be it bubble algae, red slime algae, hair algae or whatever.

6. My sandbed is not brown with algae

7. My lights on and off at preset timings every single day for the last two months

Appreciate all who contributed but please read problem carefully instead of suggesting without understanding the problem. It might make things worse for someone as inexperienced as me.

Thanks again