Nitrate reduction suggestion

myintkhine

• SRC Member

Hello fellow reefers,

My tank has been 3 months old and the nitrate is getting pretty high at over 50ppm. People suggest me to run biosphere. I heard it might cause bacteria blooms. I'd appreciate tips on the most effective way of nitrate reduction method for a long run. Pls let me know if there's any pros and cons in the suggestion as well. My tank is 24gal, running rowa with a hob Chaeto fuge. I've been doing water changes but it seems to be not as effective as I thought it to be. Do and don'ts are welcome too. Thanks in advance peeps. :D

I wiould suggest 99% wC using NSW . And you will think that this not good coz the book and the internet says it's not good but I have friends who do this and they have very nice and thriving Sps dominated tanks,

I personally don't do this coz my pocket is not deep enough. That's y I use biosphere and scrubbers.

Here's a list of nitrate removing method 5

• Like 1

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

I wiould suggest 99% wC using NSW . And you will think that this not good coz the book and the internet says it's not good but I have friends who do this and they have very nice and thriving Sps dominated tanks,

I personally don't do this coz my pocket is not deep enough. That's y I use biosphere and scrubbers.

Here's a list of nitrate removing method 5being the best in my own opinion.

Waterchange

DSB

Heavy skimming

(Macroalgae)

Cheato

Mangrove

Caulerpa

Red bamboo

Algae Scrubber

Any other macroalgae

(Carbon)

Biopallets

Biosphere

Vodka/vinegar Carbon dosing

AzNo3

(Reactors)

Denitrator coil

Denitrator reactor

Sulfur denitrator

Lots more method , pick one and stick to it all method takes time to kick off so be patient.

Except the 99% wC of course which is immediate.

Thanks for your suggestion bro xiggie. I'm interested in having biopellet/sphere reactor. But I often time hear that carbon causes cyano and stuffs. I already have a very small patch of cyano and i worry it will get worsened. If anybody've got experience with it, please let me know how to safely setup and things to take note before using the reactor.

• SRC Member

Bro, you shall build up your Bio filter, changing water is only for short term. If your rate of creation for nitrate is faster than your export rate, you NO3 is going to accumulate over times.

Yes bro, that's the reason I'm interested in having a reactor. Please let me know if the reactor can do some bads.

• SRC Member

Yes bro, that's the reason I'm interested in having a reactor. Please let me know if the reactor can do some bads.

Oki. Few questions first, what are the fishes you have and how much how frequence and what do you feed them?

Do you have skimmer? ATS? any mechanical and bio filter media?

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Oki. Few questions first, what are the fishes you have and how much how frequence and what do you feed them?

Do you have skimmer? ATS? any mechanical and bio filter media?

I have 2 perc clowns, 1 green chromis, 1 dottyback, 2 gobies and one mandarin. I feed them nearly a full mysis block every other day. If i feel like it, I get them pellets in between sometimes. My IOS compartments are currently with tunze 9002 skimmer, rowa reactor, carbon bag, wool, sponge, no ATS and only with chaeto hob filter fuge. I'm having quite a lot of sediments on the rock. Is it a possible culprit?

• SRC Member

Bro your tank is 3 feet * 1 *1?

I dont consider your stock level high at all. Your 9002 skimmater is green tea or kopi or kopi o?

The problem with your current equipment is that there is no media for BB. Rowophos and AC cannot absord NO3. Possible to convert your chaeto hob to biosphere filled?

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

If there is space , just run aio+dose bacteria will do. Reduce phos and no3.

Been running aio , no rowa. Just aio.

No3 undetectable in salifert.

Po4 is dead low as well.

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

If there is space , just run aio+dose bacteria will do. Reduce phos and no3.

Been running aio , no rowa. Just aio.

No3 undetectable in salifert.

Po4 is dead low as well.

Hihi

What is aio? Thanks

: ) Mark

Description of my humble tank

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus OCTX 160

Return Pump - Germain Eheim pump 3400 litres/hr

Chiller - Hailea Chiller 300A

Wave Maker - Ecotech Marine MP40W

Lighting - Solarmax 4ft MH 2 x 150 watts & 2 x T5 lights

Date of Commission of Tank - 22 Dec 2010

• SRC Member

Hihi

What is aio? Thanks

: ) Mark

Aio pellet

aka all in one biopellet.

If afraid of bacteria bloom , no worries. Start with lesser biopellet and slowly add more. I started with 1litre aio straight in 1 go. no bacteria bloom. Even if have , also no problem. Just wet skim and have more surface agitation thats all. Will clear itself in days.

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

Aio pellet

If afraid of bacteria bloom , no worries. Start with lesser biopellet and slowly add more. I started with 1litre aio straight in 1 go. no bacteria bloom. Even if have , also no problem. Just wet skim and have more surface agitation thats all. Will clear itself in days.

Aio pellet

Thanks Bro : )

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

• SRC Member

Bro your tank is 3 feet * 1 *1?

I dont consider your stock level high at all. Your 9002 skimmater is green tea or kopi or kopi o?

The problem with your current equipment is that there is no media for BB. Rowophos and AC cannot absord NO3. Possible to convert your chaeto hob to biosphere filled?

Thanks for the reply bro. My skimmate is green tea color. Can I just dump the biosphere into the hob?

• SRC Member

Aio pellet

That means I won't need to run rowa anymore and biopellet will just deal with both no3 and po4? If that's the case then I can just convert my rowa reactor. No need new. :D

• SRC Member

That means I won't need to run rowa anymore and biopellet will just deal with both no3 and po4? If that's the case then I can just convert my rowa reactor. No need new. :D

Normal biopellet wont help much in reducing po4.

AIO is the latest one , which imo deal with both no3 and po4 veryvery effectively.

1 thing is , using rowa reactor like TLF or h20 brand reactor for aio pellet , wont work very well as they need to be tumble and are harder to timble as they are bigger and heavier.

Im using fr-45 and 3500 litr/hr pump to tumble my 1litre aio pellet.

If no space for biopellet reactor, just use biosphere with rowaphos lo . Dosing bacteria will help alotalot in reducing nutrient.

Imo biodigest/zeobak is muchmuchmuch better than mb7.

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

Am running AIO for 2weeks nitrates have drop quite abit only but is looking good started out with 200ML and now up it to 500ML

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

I am using rowaphos with siporax and chaetos to keep nutrients level down. Started with just rowaphos and chaetos since 5 months ago and added siporax to house bacteria last month. So far so good. My sump got no space for any more equipments, that's why I didn't use aio biopellets.

Aio pellet

Hihi

Do you know where can I get Aio pellet?

Size - 4 x 2 x 2.5 ft

• SRC Member

Hihi

Do you know where can I get Aio pellet?

Madpetz got sell. De-lighting also have. not sure about iwarna (:

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

Normal biopellet wont help much in reducing po4.

AIO is the latest one , which imo deal with both no3 and po4 veryvery effectively.

1 thing is , using rowa reactor like TLF or h20 brand reactor for aio pellet , wont work very well as they need to be tumble and are harder to timble as they are bigger and heavier.

Im using fr-45 and 3500 litr/hr pump to tumble my 1litre aio pellet.

If no space for biopellet reactor, just use biosphere with rowaphos lo . Dosing bacteria will help alotalot in reducing nutrient.

Imo biodigest/zeobak is muchmuchmuch better than mb7.

Hi bro, may I ask why biodigest/zeobak is muchmuchmuch better than mb7? Thks :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Hi bro, may I ask why biodigest/zeobak is muchmuchmuch better than mb7? Thks :)

My experiences with all these bacteria products tells me which is better and much more effective (: .

my nutrient really did drop alot when using zeobak/biodigest . But not for mb7.

furthermore , zeobak/biogro/ fm bio encourages user that should be used up by 6months once opened, as bacteria will definitely starts to die off. This is not the case for mb7.

• Like 1

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

I'm running biodigest with AIO

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

My experiences with all these bacteria products tells me which is better and much more effective (: .

my nutrient really did drop alot when using zeobak/biodigest . But not for mb7.

furthermore , zeobak/biogro/ fm bio encourages user that should be used up by 6months once opened, as bacteria will definitely starts to die off. This is not the case for mb7.

Thks bro for the explanation..mb7 oso state that for best result, use within 1 year of purchase date..nevertheless, all r good products & which got theirs own users & r happy with the results..cheers :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos