Need help on frogspawn coral

CookieCrunch

Hey guys ! Have been keeping this coral for quite sometime, and suddenly it became closed up and one of the heads seems like it's dying . Ever since the nemo that hosted it died, this coral become like this . Need help ! :( don't wanna see it die ! Elegance, birdnest, monti, mushrooms and hammer all doing well in the tank . https://vimeo.com/115903432

Try to place at a lesser flow n see the outcome in few days... i think its to strong.. btw look like a hammer coral to me.=)

Thanks for the advice ! But the flow there Isint strong, it has been at the same spot all the while and the tentacles fully extended hardly move .

Now I noticed the banner fish aka fake morish idol nipping on the coral where the spot looks dead, I suspect his the culprit now as the percula hosting that coral died . Do you think it's possible as on the other hand online says that fish is reef safe . If it's that's the cause, is there anyway to stop it from nipping it ? :) thanks once again !

• SRC Member

There are 2 types of banner fish - Heniochus diphreutes and Heniochus acuminatus. Former being referred as reef safe and the latter as not reef safe but is more available to the aquarium trade. Yours is probably H. acuminatus.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

BUT, for my only the affected area die and it doesn't spread . So it will look like one head empty the rest doing great. Depend on luck or water parameter。 for my hammer eventually it will spread like bjd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Heniochus Dispheures is quite reef safe. I kept for 1-2 months until got eaten by my anemone. It would only occasionally nip at SPS polyps but not to the extend of damaging; in fact not really visible, just like what yellow clown goby does.

Live aquaria even lists it as Reef Compatible:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+25+3111&pcatid=3111

It is easy to differentiate between Heniochus Dispheures and Acuminatus.

Just Google on how to differentiate them, and then go to Ah Beng which almost carry both species every week and after observing, the difference will be obvious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk