HOw to Keep/Breed Live BRine Shrimps?

joachimsim

• SRC Member

Guys,

I just bought a pack of those reddish brine shrimps live from Clementi Florist.

The owner told me they don;t last more than a day..But if I keep them in the fridge..( i told know whether in a tied bag or open ) it can last many days.

I tried putting a handful into a COCA COla bottle and change a bit of water with my tank water...seems to do fine after fcouple of hours.

From my own research,,..donno if I am right..Brine Shrimps eat Phytoplanton...so I dose my DT into the bag of water..Threw some into my REFUGIUM..- DONNO where they disappear to amongs my Live ROCKS and kept the rest in a breeding net/tank in my spare 2 feet only housing an anemone and clown.

Does this help them grow or breed?? I also hatched Brine Shrimps from Eggs before..But I am thinking they are so small..that I don;t think the fishes can see them and feed on them??

Also, I am rather shocked that using my PH meter the bag of water containing Live BRine. S is at 6.5 ...Salinity abt 1.18 I tested for NO2 but NIL

Why is this so?

Even when I bought my Powder Tang ..the bag of water it was in was Ph less than 8!!

• SRC Member

<<Edited for offensive material>> Their brine shrimp comes every morning and in the noon u will see lots of dead bodies. They will last more than one day,LOL . yes but left only a little amount alive, even in the fridge.

Brine shrimp are brackish water shrimps and not marine so they wont be alive long in your marine tank. Its hard to rare them as I have maximum rare them for 3 weeks but gave up. U have to measure NH4 and not NO2 as there are no bacterias to convert NH4 to NO2 in your bag.

About the pH, usually the water condition is the bag is very bad and full of toxics. I never buy anymore this bags of brine shrimp cuz they will corrode your water and when u are home, very less brine shrimp are left, only see dead bodies.

• SRC Member

If you are lucky, almost a year. The longest I keeped was almost a year.. but it was those seamonkeys you get from Toys R Us.. they have this special food for sea monkeys.. thing is only a few will survive. usually around <20.

You must know how much salinity in the water before you can change... they require very salty water. And no.. adults do not eat liquid food.. they eat micro algae.. maybe you can try those really find power food like spirulia powder.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Ben , are you sure Brine shrimps can't live in Marine water..I remember reading it somewhere in some internet literature.

Well my bag had mostly live shrimps...and my freshwater shrimps love them as well.

Isn't DT Plankton microalgae? where to get spirulia powder?

I have the shrimps still alive in my breeding net in my 2Feet Spare marine tank.

• SRC Member
Arcane , What did you keep for almost a year? SEA MONKEYS?? I don';t get what are those?? How come Toys R us will sell them ??? :)

yeah.. i rem a few years ago the major toy shops sell them and i heard that some working personnel even go crazy trying to grow them in office just for fun..

yes, brine shrimps are also known as sea moneys...

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member
Give them phytoplankton and they would survive for many generations.

Agreed. It feeds on phytoplankton.

I culture phyto and usually store the extra in fridge. Somehow I didn't know that some of the BS got mixed into the phyto. So one day I took out the bottle of phyto, which is sealed tight, and I saw adult BS swimming in it. It's somehow black in body, unlike those bought in LFs which is pinkish. I heard those feed on chicken shit. So don't simply pour the water into ur tank.

I watched some documentary that BS actually found in sea, not so sure about blackish water.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

What abt hatching them from eggs? can you make them grow to Adult size ? ( I donno if those sold in shops are adult sizes ) from feeding Phytoplanton?

One guy abve said only the small fries eat liquid food??

So have you tried breeding your own BS?? Chris?

Don't think it is worth the time and effort to culture bbs to adult....

Feeding them them is going to cost you more than going to the LFS and buy a packet of adult Brine Shrimps.

You can never get the density you want from home culture too but if you want to keep a 2ft tank of them and see them swimming around that is a different case.

Just feed them with yeast or phtyo or even grounded fish food and you can have generation after generation of them.

• SRC Member
What abt hatching them from eggs? can you make them grow to Adult size ? ( I donno if those sold in shops are adult sizes ) from feeding Phytoplanton?

One guy abve said only the small fries eat liquid food??

So have you tried breeding your own BS?? Chris?

Yes.. I hatch baby BS from eggs too. That's why some fries got into my phyto already.. Stored in fridge for 2 weeks.. and it become adult.

Tank 4x2x2.5