Kalkwasser in premixed saltwater

• SRC Member

The amount of kalkwasser i can add in top off water is reaching its threshold but the corals are craving more. Just want to know if its possible to add kalk in premixed saltwater during water change. I can drip it in overnight to prevent ph swings. Trying to stretch the use of kalk before venturing into two parts solution or calcium reactor.

Thanks for any advice.

• SRC Member

The amount of kalkwasser i can add in top off water is reaching its threshold but the corals are craving more. Just want to know if its possible to add kalk in premixed saltwater during water change. I can drip it in overnight to prevent ph swings. Trying to stretch the use of kalk before venturing into two parts solution or calcium reactor.

Thanks for any advice.

there is only so much Ca & Alk water can hold before it precipitates out. so dosin or mixing kalk in ur water for water change is not gg to help much.

so first, get a good salt mix. RSCP have high CA and Kalk but depends on whether ur corals are sensitive to this.

Secondly to solve ur problem, add vinegar with kalk in ur top off water. vinegar allows for more kalk to dissolve before they become insoluble and become the white flakes u see at the bottom.

another added benefit to adding vinegar is that it will be a carbon source to the bacterias in ur tank. BUT pls google it first. too much carbon source can lead to disastrous consequences esp if u are keeping sensitive corals.

hope this helps

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advice, Bombom Seems like there are quite a few articles on vinegar in kalkwasser. Will read them in detail to make a call.

Anyone using kalk with vinegar can comment further?

To get better solubility on kalk , dissolve the amount of kalk in pure vinegar first then add the solution to the RO water, u will get lesser or sometimes no residue after. 1 teaspoon kalk to 30ml vinegar if I can remember correctly , always do that when I was dosing kalk

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

ya noticed that the pe is better at night too. I've seen tanks where the pe is also good in the day. So trying to achieve the same thing. Not sure if this is fiddling with the sps nature. ;)