Is it a necessity to use RO/DI?

Jonathan Tan

• SRC Member

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

hi bro - sorry for the late reply - never really tested but had heard that our tap water is filled with many different metals and nitrates plus nitrites about 0.3mg/l.

-Main Display Tank : 5ftx2.5ftx2.5ft [ 12mm throughout with euro bracing ]
-Light : Maxspect Glaive [ 2 sets of 2.5 ft ]
-Pump : Eheim 1262 and Eheim 1264
-Skimmer : Deltec SC2060 / Bubble Magus Curve 7

-Wavemaker: Jebao WP40 & WP60

hi bro - sorry for the late reply - never really tested but had heard that our tap water is filled with many different metals and nitrates plus nitrites about 0.3mg/l.

I tested my tap water many times using different brands of test kits and I have never found nitrate in it... Imagine if there are nitrates in your drinking water - does that mean that something is decomposing in your water pipes?

• SRC Member

I tested my tap water many times using different brands of test kits and I have never found nitrate in it... Imagine if there are nitrates in your drinking water - does that mean that something is decomposing in your water pipes?

Its not really necessary that something is decomposing in there..perhaps u should google singapore tap water composition. You will be surprised.

• SRC Member

No offence... I did read but It's not very high like what you have stated right?

No offence..i said its filled with many metals and nitrates .

Otherwise it would not be fit for human consumption right? Point of the matter is our water does contain lots of stuff.

• SRC Member

IMHO, SG tap water does contain substances..u try running ur tap over a cloth or filter like bag n the Colour will b ...... Anyway, for my FOWLR, I m using aged tap water to mix with salt..pump through a filter sock into my sump..have noticed my new filter sock got a spot brown Colour after wc..anyway, my fishes r healthy thus far..algae free? (maybe my tangs eat them faster than they can grow :P)..for reef tank I dunnoe..maybe reef tank bro & sis who use tap water can share their experience..cheers & happy reefing :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

No offence..i said its filled with many metals and nitrates .

Otherwise it would not be fit for human consumption right? Point of the matter is our water does contain lots of stuff.

Thanks for the clarification... I'm not looking for any arguments or trouble here...

Yes, our water does contain many traces elements which I did not question or mention at all. I'm only bringing up the high level of of nitrates that you have mention in your statement below:

"I do understand that our tap water contains metals and high levels of nitrates. Whilst it is still possible for fish to endure..it is actually not the best thing since nitrates do bring fish sickness sometimes resulting in death too.would ro/di be the best solution then?"

• SRC Member

No worries bro..its a platform to learn and share..got a 2 stage di unit yesterday..gonna do a few tests this weekend. Will update if possible.