Quote for Overflow Tank

Last night, I visited a LFS to make an enquiry on the cost of a 4 x 2 x 2 overflow tank. The owner quoted $2,200 for a plain vanilla setup. However, he mentioned that I could also get a system for just $1,200 at the expense of the quality of the wood for the cabinet. Hmm.....what is the 'best' price that one should pay for a reliable tank that offers peace of mind that it will not collapse in the middle of the night? :unsure:

• SRC Member

IMO...the LFS is trying to ketok u...I dun remember a 4ftx2ftx2ft tank would cost so much($2,200)...quality wood? :angry: wat quality wood he is offering?chani wood?rose wood? :blink: ridiculous manz i suggest u source for more quotation :P

• SRC Member

i got quoted 10mm 4x2x2(overflow) +2.5ft sump + piping + delivery $405

Glass is machine cut.

cabinet $500 extra or iron stand $120 extra. i choose the iron stand & requested 3.5ft height.

& i extended the sump to 3ft with refugium built in extra $20.

if u need, pm me & i'll send u the guy's email.

the price u got quoted was what my tank maker charges for a 8ftx2.5x2.5. undrilled.

Glass is machine cut.

cabinet $500 extra or iron stand $120 extra. i choose the iron stand & requested 3.5ft height.

the price u got quoted was what my tank maker charges for a 8ftx2.5x2.5. undrilled.

Hi Bawater,

u GOT pm.

• SRC Member

Glass is machine cut.

OMG! :shock:

3½ fts height !

I assume you are talking about the overall height

Cos I couldn’t imagine a tank depth of 3½ ft …. How can you ever reach the bottom of the tank :unsure:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

:lol: tank 3 1/2, i wish- then i can go swimming with Tangs :lol:

No lah , extended the stand as high as he has ever made without topping over.I didn't know they would use 2"x1" metal bars or else i would have gone higher!

Total height is 5.5ft , i'm 5.8ft so just right for me to rest my nose on the top edge to smell :huh:

i have a habit of doing a smell check every so often.

Dragonet: did the LFS mean total 4ft setup?including skimmer,lights, filter media etc etc...maybe comes up to the same. Bare drilled Tank with wood cabinet range from $1000 up to $1600:P

• SRC Member

Glass is machine cut.

If 12mm glass leh? Price difference?

I am thinking of upgrading to a 12mm, 5 x 2 x 2.. Can help me check? with cupboard and 3ft sump with refugium built in.. :bow:

:thanks:

Bawater,

Thanks for sharing your contact with us. FYI, the owner quoted $2,200 for the main tank, sump and cabinet. He claimed that 'heavy marine wood' would be used to construct the cabinet and showed me his display tank. But I don't think it's necessary for me to spend so much.

Happy New Year!!