Freshwater baths effective for white Spot/Ick?

• SRC Member

IS freshwater baths effective for Ick/White Spots..

Can someone gimme a step by step instruction how to do it.

Yesterday on seeing that my Powder Tang was badly infected by white spots..and breathing rapidly..

I gave it a freshwater dip in a pail with Ph 8.2 matching my tank conditions..3 mins instead of the 10 min somebody recommended...

Put it back in tank and I think died in the wee hrs of morning.

• SRC Member

IMO, since the fish is already having ich, feeling weak, and somemore we introduce to freshwater bath, i tink the fish will die instantly due to shock or die at a later stage..sigh.. beauties are attracted to whitespot.. wasted.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
IS freshwater baths effective for Ick/White Spots..

Can someone gimme a step by step instruction how to do it.

Yesterday on seeing that my Powder Tang was badly infected by white spots..and breathing rapidly..

I gave it a freshwater dip in a pail with Ph 8.2 matching my tank conditions..3 mins instead of the 10 min somebody recommended...

Put it back in tank and I think died in the wee hrs of morning.

off course lah.. why do you think people always recommend acclimatization for new LSs? By doing FW dip, you are actually defeating the purpose of acclimatization. FW dips will just shock the fish... if you really want, read up on hyposalinity. Its a much better choice. safer and more effective.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Instead of freshwater dips, why not use more conventional methods like dosing medication?

There are at least 3 types of anti-ich medication available on the market that will not harm corals and invertebrates (more if you take into account the copper-based types that are not coral-friendly).

Simply get your infected fish out, put it in a seperate tank/pail and dose the medication but remember to provide oxygen for the fish!

Else, pay a little bit more for the coral-friendly type of anti-ich medication. Saw my blue tang with white spots and did not hesitate to try and cure it. After following through with the dosing instructions, it is healthy now. All my fishes, shrimps, tubeworms and clams are ok.

Please note that mine is a FOWLR tank so you may wish to seek more advice but in my experience, it has certainly worked (for me).

My two cents worth.