UV filter + Ozoniser query

joachimsim

• SRC Member

Just realised I hv some questions regarding usage of ozoniser and UV filter that I never got to ask.

1) Can they be used together and If so what for?

2) If you feed PhytoPlankton or any liquid food...will it kill the Plankton.

3) Does it help prevent Ick/White Spots..and what other dieseases does it prevent.

4) I think there are some dangers of it killing the beneficial bacteria in the tank and how you prevent this?

• Sponsor
Just realised I hv some questions regarding usage of ozoniser and UV filter that I never got to ask.

1) Can they be used together and If so what for?

2) If you feed PhytoPlankton or any liquid food...will it kill the Plankton.

3) Does it help prevent Ick/White Spots..and what other dieseases does it prevent.

4) I think there are some dangers of it killing the beneficial bacteria in the tank and how you prevent this?

1. Yes, they can be used together but that's overkill.

2. If they are dead plankton that you're feeding it does not matter but otherwise yes, they will kill bacteria and phytoplankton.

3. An ozonizer will pretty much get rid of a lot of nasties like ich larvae, protozoans etc, etc. If overdose, it'll kill your fishes and corals as well. I've always have doubt over the sanitizing ability of the UV sterilizer.

4. An ozonizer must be set at the right dosage so that it does not kill off all the beneficial bacteria and plankton. Use a Redox controller to prevent overdosing.

• SRC Member

Hmm...I suppose than UV is too dangerous to use..as there is no way to control over UVing :)

hmm..are you Caucasian your surname is young.

Which shop do you own?

• SRC Member

I know the benefits of UV filtering now..but how am I going to overcome the problem of killing the Phytoplankton if I am feeding.it to the tank. Switch on occassionally?

Does it kill fish eggs or coral spawn?

• SRC Member
I know the benefits of UV filtering now..but how am I going to overcome the problem of killing the Phytoplankton if I am feeding.it to the tank. Switch on occassionally?

Does it kill fish eggs or coral spawn?

theres no fears about UV , except don't look at it straight with unprotected eyes.....no it will not kill fish eggs or coral spawn in anyway. You can switch it off when feeding phytoplankton and leave it off 'till the next day or two... :D

• SRC Member

from what i undestand, ozone is extremely unstable and could caused problem if the equipment u used is are not ozone rated... especially PS... the plastic/silicon/PVC/arcrylic/metal parts will get weaken/crack/harden when it is directly contact with ozone. It is advise to use ozone rated PS and active carbon should be placed at the water outlet of your skimmer (if your ozone is attached to skimmer) to remove all excess ozone from going into the system caused it could saused harm the LS in the tank.....