Return pump rate 12x and above !?

• SRC Member

Hi bros, anyone knows if we can have a return pump rate which is higher than 12x or above?
Standard recommendation is 10x, but lets say if we use a return pump that has a capability of returning 12x to 15x, will it affect the tank system? Any pros or cons? Anyone have experience? Thank you in advance. (scenario: let's say a 450L tank, with 6,500L/H pump)

Hi , In my own opinion it doesn't matter how much turnover u have , there are pros and cons on both slow and fast turnovers , I am running a 300+ litres tank and have a 4k pump running thru a chiller which bring down the total flow rate and the turnover and things are fine.

U will however be getting different opinions from different people. A lot of people would be going for more turnover meaning bigger pumps

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

I just set up my 2ft. I calculated is around 95l. Im using compact 3000. The flow was crazy. I have to use the lowest setting. Even at lowest setting output, i got alot of bubble, splashing and noise at the first compartment of the sump coming from the drain pipe. Now still looking for solution to reduce the bubble and splashing. The return pump was recommend by the tank maker.

Wondering why the need to use up to 3000l/h.

• SRC Member

some say try to match ur skimmer pump to rate of water going into sump.

example 3kliters/h pump after headloss u get 2.5k. if ur skimmer pump is 2.5k also, apparently most efficient for ur skimmer to skim the water instead of a higher rate of flow. not sure hw true is that.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

some say try to match ur skimmer pump to rate of water going into sump.

example 3kliters/h pump after headloss u get 2.5k. if ur skimmer pump is 2.5k also, apparently most efficient for ur skimmer to skim the water instead of a higher rate of flow. not sure hw true is that.

Yea almost got it, but debatable ...

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

Yea almost got it, but debatable ...

so that means slower is better since more water being skimmed before go back to your display. genius bro. but debatable. I learned recently only one way to do things when it comes to reefing.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Bro picoreef, why a 95l tank need a 3,000 l/h return pump? 30 times leh!!!

My 4 feet(450l) uses a Eheim 1260 with flow rate 2,400L/H. I think it's too little, cos the overflow rate going back to sump is too slow and can't do much filtration. The waste even can float next to the overflow teeth and not go into the overflow system. Sigh...

I have thus found a worth buy of Jebao 6500l/h return pump. It's almost gonna be 15 times the turnover. So I seek opinion from brothers here.

• SRC Member

But at the same time, after reading everyone's advises, the most wary ones I have to take precaution about is the noise that may be created. Just like what bro picoreef mentioned. I'm running a bean animal system, it ought to be very quiet from what I see in youtube. But mine still has some very slight bubbly noise at sump. Not so obvious but can still hear at night. I'm using a 6 times turnover flow now only, I wonder what will happen if I uses a 15 times turnover return pump! Hmm..., really have to take note and be wary of it, because one of my top priority is reduction of noise and to the most minimal if possible... (Even the humming suing from a eheim pump is loud to me now... Heehee)

• SRC Member

Bro picoreef, why a 95l tank need a 3,000 l/h return pump? 30 times leh!!!

Recommended by the tank maker.Im still trying diff ways and modified the piping to reduce the water splashing and noise. My last solution will be changing the return pump.

• SRC Member

My opinion is 8-10times max of ur tank plus sump capacity... Bigger than these will make lesser contact time between ur filtered water and filteration medias in ur sump for nitrification... More important thing is the water circulation in ur display tank where i target another 20-30 times of tank capacity with multiple wavemakers to avoid dead spots...