NANOBOX LED LIGHTS BY DAVE FASON

reef garden

I like to look up reviews about my line up and found this! :)

Hi all!

I've read that thread too when doing research on the Nanobox. He doesn't mention Hydra26 and XR15W as he is only picking 1 competitor in each category to comment on - what he feels is his biggest competition. However, if you look at the table he created, he listed the Hydra26 in the Medium category and the XR15W in the Nano category (which is a weird categorization if you ask me, since the XR15W is more than double the wattage of the Nanobox Mini and is comparable to the Hydra26), showing that they are more than viable competitors to the Nanobox series.

In my opinion, the competitor he chooses to highlight in each category is not his "biggest competition" as he states, but the one he is able to find the most things to say good things about his light vs the other one. For example, why is he picking the Kessil in the Medium category when, for example, the Hydra 26 is cheaper even with the controller option and has 7 controllable channels vs his 2-4 channels?

I'm not saying that the Nanobox is not a good light - I do believe that it is, and its loyal following proves this point. However, I feel that it is not accurate to use that comparison post that is created by the Nanobox owner. It is natural that he would rate his own light as the best. Especially here in Singapore where we have to import the Nanobox plus run the risk of warranty issues - not saying Dave won't honour warranty, but sending parts back and forth is time consuming and costly - we have to admit that the other options we have here with direct distributor support are at least equal if not better options relatively speaking.

I picked the people for certain categories based on what I receive from people ( I would say I get 80% inquires comparing to the Kessil 160/360 ). As for the XR15 and Hydra 26 they are marketed on two different styles of tanks. One being more "nano" based the other nannyish/medium. While the H26 has more LED colors and options to tweak I RARELY have anyone compare the two ( DUO/H26 ). I could go based on specs but find that like everyone else. I wanted to take real world inquires and use them in the chart.

I am working on a few items for the future that will really set apart the NBR line. I hope to have some over seas help here soon but for now I am literally a one man army. Baby steps right? ;)

-Dave

• SRC Member

Thanks for dropping by Dave, I think what you're doing is awesome and probably what holds me back the most from trying your lights out (I've been looking into them since the beginning of the year) is really lack of local support plus too many power cables :blush: We actually have the same issue here with Kessils (lack of local support, not the power cables) as Kessils are being brought in by a hydroponics farm and not a distributor in the aquarium industry, which makes Kessils very rarely used locally. Seems like 2 very popular US options (I see Nanobox and Kessils recommended over Radions and Hydras all the time on Reef Central) are barely used in Singapore.

I would like to point out again that I'm definitely not dissing your light, but just highlighting that a review/comparison done by the creator of one of the lights in question inevitably raises the question of bias. In fact, I was just looking at your site yesterday, looking into getting a Mini or Duo (especially after jasyu's great review) since I just moved my Hydra26 from my nano to my wife's tank (she wanted to upgrade after seeing me adjust my light settings from office via the Director and MyAI) but the aforementioned 2 issues are making me think really hard (plus my inherent laziness in having to change the plug heads from US pins to UK 3-pins).

I'm also particularly interested in your hybrid fixtures and am really hoping that you can expand the range to include bigger fixtures beyond the current 2 foot fixtures only so that I can use it for an upcoming project :yahoo: .

Thanks for dropping by Dave, I think what you're doing is awesome and probably what holds me back the most from trying your lights out (I've been looking into them since the beginning of the year) is really lack of local support plus too many power cables :blush: We actually have the same issue here with Kessils (lack of local support, not the power cables) as Kessils are being brought in by a hydroponics farm and not a distributor in the aquarium industry, which makes Kessils very rarely used locally. Seems like 2 very popular US options (I see Nanobox and Kessils recommended over Radions and Hydras all the time on Reef Central) are barely used in Singapore.

I would like to point out again that I'm definitely not dissing your light, but just highlighting that a review/comparison done by the creator of one of the lights in question inevitably raises the question of bias. In fact, I was just looking at your site yesterday, looking into getting a Mini or Duo (especially after jasyu's great review) since I just moved my Hydra26 from my nano to my wife's tank (she wanted to upgrade after seeing me adjust my light settings from office via the Director and MyAI) but the aforementioned 2 issues are making me think really hard (plus my inherent laziness in having to change the plug heads from US pins to UK 3-pins).

I'm also particularly interested in your hybrid fixtures and am really hoping that you can expand the range to include bigger fixtures beyond the current 2 foot fixtures only so that I can use it for an upcoming project :yahoo: .

Thanks. I can tell you that in the next few months there will be many less cords ;)

Support I totally understand, I wish I could man! Maybe with a few local supporters your way more people could see it.

I can't go larger than 30" due to machining. EVERY unit is milled here in the US. Going over that size increases the price to the point of craziness. I can however sell a kit to you for an ATI unit. Not quite as unique but VERY good option for larger tanks.

Thanks again!

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi jasyu,

Just to check how is your nano box doing now?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016