Red algae and high PO4

Seafront

• SRC Member

Dear all,

I am facing heavy red algae development in my system and I am using GoodBye PO4 everyday and considerable reduced.

Did alomst 40% water change till date.

Will keeping refugium will help in my case?

Any other root cause I can think of for this?

Regards,

Sam

Possible for take a pic of the red algae? If I didn't guess wrongly it should be red slime algae aka cyano bacterial. These are actually bacterials that looks like algae. It's cause by large number of bacterials die off due to lack of bacterial food usually carbon. Do a search on the net would give you a lot of information and treatment methods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Possible for take a pic of the red algae? If I didn't guess wrongly it should be red slime algae aka cyano bacterial. These are actually bacterials that looks like algae. It's cause by large number of bacterials die off due to lack of bacterial food usually carbon. Do a search on the net would give you a lot of information and treatment methods

Dear Patrick, Yes its Cyano bacterial infection.

Thanks Patrick and copepod I reduced my PO4 with great success by tackling Cyano bacteria with Aquarium-Munster Bakto produc

Nice to hear your issue is improving :) most importantly u learn a new method to handle "algae" which will help u better understand the hobby and enjoy it more. Future cyano outbreak will be no longer be much of an issue to your already. Congrats

reduce your light duration shorter by 2hr.

dose Mg up to 1700ppm, inc 100ppm each day until 1700ppm, maintain there until all algae die off, then stop dosing Mg and do regular WC as usual.

go goggle on how Mg remove algae and read more and understand before dosing if you are not confident.

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)