Initial Qns b4 starting hobby

Hi guys,

Nelson here, new to the hobby.

Been bugged to start a marine tank by my wife for a while, had to relent or feel the wrath of a woman .... :pinch:

Anyways, been reading up a bit, but still a little unsure how to go about. My idea is to get it right first time round, so here goes:

1) How big a tank should I get?

2) Should I go fish-only first to 'break-in' the tank before going corals?

3) How important is lightings?

4) How much money do I have to spend on a decent setup?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

Hi...suggest u start small and cheap, if u r still in this hobby 3 months later then go to a bigger setup. Can start as low as a 2ft tank with 3 or 4 fish cheap ones, lots of LRs, air stone skimmer, dsb and a filter. then see if u can sustain this hobby.

The Universal Law of Cause and Effect a.k.a the Mystic Law manifested in the Universe as Nam-Myoho-Renge-kyo. For World Peace and Human Happiness.

• SRC Member

Hello Nelson, welcome to sgreefclub, it's very crucial at the starting process, if your money allow u too, i suggest u to start on a 3ft, 8mm thickness and above glass tank. After which, we will have to mix our salt water, can purchase salt from local fish shop. We have a thread on setting up a marine tank. I think it's more informative there. Library books are also as helpful, they do teaches u how to start on setting a marine tank, the things u need to know.Maybe some of the marine language u have difficulties understanding, u can always approach us for help. I wish u all the best in starting ur marine hobby! :) here is the link: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2032

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

Thanks Kominato & astroboy ....

Read oreadi. My wife bought a book from Kino*** (some Japanese bookshop) as additional bed time story

Maybe go 4 or 5 feets tank.

Is there any reliable and cheap tankmaker?

One stop shopping solution also can ... save all the trouble since my car is in the shop and I hate public transport

what is marine language?

• SRC Member

I'm sure you have read those pin thread, kindly pls do so as the basic in starting are all there. A gd book in the library will also be benefically.

My opinion only on your questions.

I'll go for 4ft. Minium 3ft. Personally think that more width is better than longer tank. If I'm to start my tank now, I'll go 4(lenght) x 2.5 (width) x 2.5(height).

Its gd idea to start wif FOWLR for at least 1st 6 months. During that period, you will realise that there are still many things to learn. At the meantime, start reading about corals keeping skills.

FOWLR lights requirement is low. If u intend to keep coral or even SPS in future, invest in a gd lights like MH or T5.

Difficult to answer this, it all depends on ur setup and equipment.

Hope this helps abit

JC

u can borrow a book from the national library..

n budget abt $1.5k for 3ft and $2-3k for a 4ft.

if the budget is oki, n you can spare yourself at least 30mins

a day to take care of your fishes.

Then go ahead to venture in. weekend maybe spent another 1hour extra for weekly maintenance like changing of water, dosing supplement, clean sandbed, all those weekday lazy to do..!

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Nelson here, new to the hobby.

Been bugged to start a marine tank by my wife for a while, had to relent or feel the wrath of a woman .... :pinch:

Anyways, been reading up a bit, but still a little unsure how to go about. My idea is to get it right first time round, so here goes:

:thanks:

Welcome, glad you are doing research before going into the hobby. You can readup the articles in the sticky thread for more info.

1) As big as you think you can afford, bigger better. The sticky thread by Bawater should have some information on roughly how much each tank size cost. I would recommend a minimum 3ft tank since you just started as it is more forgiving due to larger volume of water.

2) This depends more on how much research you have done and how confident you are. You can start off with easier corals like mushrooms. Just remember to do research before buying any coral(for that matter, this goes for any livestock you intend to buy).

3) Lighting is only as important as the type of setup. If its fowlr, you can do away with lightings like FLs. However, for reef tanks you will need more intense lights like PLs, t5s or even MHs.

4) Depends on the setup, there's information on this in the sticky thread by Bawater.

You can approach E*quarist on this forum for some quotations, they do make tanks for people and can provide the equipment like return pump, protein skimmer, lights etc..