Tank startup

edmund_23

• SRC Member
Depending on the size of your sump, amount of sand & rocks inside. As a guide, I recently set up my 422 with sump and ordered 500L nsw delivery from iwarna but used only 440L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bro.. Iwarna got $30 delivery charge rite?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

i would prefer to mix my own instead. long term wise is more cost effective and you never know when you will need the water. just the water storage, RODI system etc takes up space but what to do man, for the love of our hobby, anything also can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I gonna setup a new 422 tank with sump. I wanna ask usually how u all startup with the water. Get NSW or DI water+salt? I heard my frenzy use tap water but later will have algae problem. If using NSW, usually how many packs is needed? I calculated 422 is bat 432L + sump should be around 500L ba.. Thanks in advance.

been using tap water for my tanks. algae boom is a norm in all new tanks no mater what water you use. but if you gonna use tap water plus salt for new start up, minimally cycle it for at least 1-1.5 months. seawater for a faster process.  

• SRC Member
been using tap water for my tanks. algae boom is a norm in all new tanks no mater what water you use. but if you gonna use tap water plus salt for new start up, minimally cycle it for at least 1-1.5 months. seawater for a faster process.  

No really.. My frenz use tap water with LR to cycle for his 2ft and 4ft, both cycled for 3weeks without dose bacteria..

• SRC Member

No really.. My frenz use tap water with LR to cycle for his 2ft and 4ft, both cycled for 3weeks without dose bacteria..

maybe im unlucky. tap or seawater, both boom in my case. 3 weeks for tap water is somewhat risky. i wasn't the patient type, did not heed advise from the shop and cycle for approx 2-3 weeks only, my tank crashed. total live stocks gone in that crash cost me a bomb and within days only.

I gonna setup a new 422 tank with sump. I wanna ask usually how u all startup with the water. Get NSW or DI water+salt? I heard my frenzy use tap water but later will have algae problem. If using NSW, usually how many packs is needed? I calculated 422 is bat 432L + sump should be around 500L ba.. Thanks in advance.

• SRC Member

means i suay:lol: anyway different set up will have diff outcome too. update pics when you are done bro. happy reefing. 

• SRC Member

Regardless of what water is used.. The cycle is complete once you test 0 for ammonia & nitrite.

but I wld personally vote ro/di water as I don't know wats in our tap water these days

• SRC Member
Great choice bro, personally starting with DI water introduces less parameters to the whole setup, much easier to tweak or troubleshoot if needed

Ya.. Now looking for salt liao..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...