Turn off return pump on vacation

danccy

Hi 

Any bro can advice if it is ok to turn off the return pump for 7 days while on vacation ? My other equipments will continue to run like chiller, lights with auto-timer, vortech wave maker and skimmer. I had history of the inlet tray being flooded and the water overflow out all over my living room. 

Thank you!!

No. 7 day is too long. Not advisable at all

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• SRC Member

this depend on ur setup..u say ur skimmer n chiller will b running, so that does it mean u got another pump for chiller n the water return back to display tank in order for the chiller to be "on"..this depend on what u keep too..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Supporter

Try to find way to prevent such flooding, or like what Jimmy said. Reduce the flow of the pump maybe just inserting a valve in the return line rather than shutting it off completely which is rather dangerous

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

yes will use the chiller pump to circulate the water instead of the main pump but the flow is only 20% of the main pump ..its the in-flow tray....suspect maybe the cotton was too near the edge and was dirty and restrict the water flow 

• SRC Member

Maybe u can shift the cotton to another area temporary? I have faced similiar situation like yours b4..my filter sock was unchanged for ard 10days as I was overseas n I realise the floor underneath my cabinet near the filter sock area wet..I think my solution will b not to put the filter sock if I were to b away for more than 5days..hope u find ur solution soon yea :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

thank you all for your advice :thanks:

My tank guy came and provided a thinner and smaller piece of cotton so as not to restrict the flow, he also say cannot turn off the pump unless I want the tank to turn to sludge when I come back. Fingers crossed .