Green Bubble Algae

• SRC Member

I read that these green bubble algae are bad and it is hard to get rid. If accidentally burst one of bubble, it spreads through out the tank. Now, my tanks has it. Starting from one shady corner on my rock and now spreading to other areas in my tank (some grow/stick on my power head, rocks, etc). Any reefers has any advices to remove them?

My Phosphate from Hanna colorimeter read 0.02, while the rest like Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia on normal test kits shows normal range.

WP_20151101_16_30_33_Pro_LI.jpg

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear about the spread of the bubble.. you are absolutely right about not rupturing them as that will spread the spores.

Manual removal is effective - take out the rock, use a flat head screwdriver or scapel to scrap off the entire vesicle.

If want to use natural method, can try emerald mithrax but pls note that sometimes they go for other stuff in your tank.

Personally, I am for manual removal

• SRC Member

Thanks JMW. Seems like manual removal will be the way to go for now.

Yeah, I read about using emerald crab too. But I think when they punctured the bubbles (to feed), the pores will spread to the tank as well.  

Dont think u can totally remove valonia in your tank they can survive in ultra low nutrient water too and the only way is to control the qty ... best fish to eat valonia still sailfin tang (Desjardini only will eat valonia and not veliferum ) . emerald crab just hit or miss depend on luck and they dont move around whole tank ... off cause when fish eating the bubble algae will spread whole tank but if the fish continue feeding on it than u wont see any in your tank unless those area that the fish can not reach ...