Anemone survival skills

Dez Ching

• SRC Member

Does anyone have an anemone which is thriving and growing in captivation?
I realized I had kept 3 anemones and until now, all started to shrink from large to medium to small, and ultra-small.
Amazing shrinkages over 2 months... I fed them with bits of market prawn, first two ate, the last one do not eat at all.
But in anyways, all 3 shrunk ultimately... However, in addition to the scenario, I have to say was my first anemone was fine, although smaller in size, it can open and extend to quite sizeable. however, once I added a maroon clown fish whom hosted the anemone... the drastic changes came... All anemones which was being hosted by it, totally shrunk so small....
Does anyone out there have a clown fish hosting its anemone and yet anemone still thriving and growing?
Please teach me... thanks...

• SRC Member

Is your anemone too small for the clown?

Because if it is too small the clown will try to stretch it then kill it. 

How often you feed them? 

Anemones demand quite a bit of food. one or twice a week 

Is the anemone moving around or rooted already?

If it is running around a lot , it could be too much light. Initially, try to trap it in a breeder box and expose it to your light. Then slowly move up to where you want it to be. 

It may still run around to find the correct flow. If it goes into a cave for too long, bail it out. (if u tear the foot, dilute iodine dip should prevent infection) [I personally lost one anemone due to it hiding under rock for 3 weeks. I listened to people advising me to leave it alone "It will come out when it's hungry" . It bleached and died]

Have you removed it from rocks before?

Because can easily tear the foot causing one big ulcer, usually fatal if left unchecked. [Had one that i kept for 2 months, moved it from one rock to the other, didn't realise i tore its foot till it was too  late]

These are all my experiences with anemones, hope it helps. If i made a mistake, experts please correct me. 

p.s anemone do deflate themselves to expel waste, don't be alarmed if u see it deflated, just wait for a few hours and it should be back to its original shape. 

• SRC Member

Hi bro, precisely! The first one I thought it might have been anemone too small for my clown fish. That's why after it had been hosted for about 1month it went totally micro small. The other two suffered same fate, but second anemone was bigger. Finally the last one I bought was largest! One big palm spread open also can't hold it all when I first bought at LFS. But all went small finally... I fed the anemone once a week with market prawn. The first one although is small now, it is still surviving in my 4 feet(1 hear old tank). I realized the anemone had dwelled well on one spot for weeks liao, but then shifted again and again recently...  I'm suspecting it's the clown fish that is causing uncomfortness to the anemone... Any possibility?

• SRC Supporter

It's all about the water quality n if it has found a good rooting place. I hardly feed mine and had since splitted from one to five now within 1.5 years. Every single one bigger than our fist. Just my humble opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Is your anemone too small for the clown?

Because if it is too small the clown will try to stretch it then kill it. 

How often you feed them? 

Anemones demand quite a bit of food. one or twice a week 

Is the anemone moving around or rooted already?

If it is running around a lot , it could be too much light. Initially, try to trap it in a breeder box and expose it to your light. Then slowly move up to where you want it to be. 

It may still run around to find the correct flow. If it goes into a cave for too long, bail it out. (if u tear the foot, dilute iodine dip should prevent infection) [I personally lost one anemone due to it hiding under rock for 3 weeks. I listened to people advising me to leave it alone "It will come out when it's hungry" . It bleached and died]

Have you removed it from rocks before?

Because can easily tear the foot causing one big ulcer, usually fatal if left unchecked. [Had one that i kept for 2 months, moved it from one rock to the other, didn't realise i tore its foot till it was too  late]

These are all my experiences with anemones, hope it helps. If i made a mistake, experts please correct me. 

p.s anemone do deflate themselves to expel waste, don't be alarmed if u see it deflated, just wait for a few hours and it should be back to its original shape. 

wow bro! Very informative. Its always nice to learn from those that share their experiences. Cool!

• SRC Member

Hi bro, precisely! The first one I thought it might have been anemone too small for my clown fish. That's why after it had been hosted for about 1month it went totally micro small. The other two suffered same fate, but second anemone was bigger. Finally the last one I bought was largest! One big palm spread open also can't hold it all when I first bought at LFS. But all went small finally... I fed the anemone once a week with market prawn. The first one although is small now, it is still surviving in my 4 feet(1 hear old tank). I realized the anemone had dwelled well on one spot for weeks liao, but then shifted again and again recently...  I'm suspecting it's the clown fish that is causing uncomfortness to the anemone... Any possibility?

Just wondering, what clowns are these?