algae on live sand

• SRC Member

Usually increasing the water movement should help prevent detritus from accumulating at the bottom of the tank.

How many Powerhead are you using?

• SRC Member

Hi dr evil,

Last time i had this brown hairy algae bloom on the surface of the sand too, Sam from Sealife advised me to siphon out the top layer of the sand and wash them in freshwater. This method works ... meanwhile u might want to monitor the nitrate n phospate level in ur tank, algae bloom is usually caused by high nitrate level.

• Sponsor

hi SunkistC,

Will try that method. Thanks.

Btw, how do i maintain the nitrate level? I do water change very often but still have this problems. Change about 1/10 of the water bi weekly.

Also, will there be anything wrong if i add the sand after washing? Or can i replace with new sand?

:nc:

• SRC Member

Dun think will have any problem if u put back the sand after washing...

BTW wat filtration method r u using? Seems to me u r using a canister filter + Sander air stone driven PS. Perhaps ur skimmer is not good enough for the capacity of ur tank.

I dun think i can see any snails in ur tank leh... try getting some turbo snails ($1 each onli) plus

a black colour sea cucumber... they will help u keep ur sand clean

• SRC Member

time to check all your water parameters, then list them up.

What kind of filtration u using, what media do u use...these will help.

from the results u will know which product to get.

it looks like a diatom bloom...which may turn into cyano soon.

pointing a powerhead at affected areas work,just as yazid suggested. But it looks like your whole sand bed has it.

can't really say tune down your lighting cause its already low.

Taking out the top layer & washing it works,but temporary- if u don't solve the nutrient source/levels it will come back in days.

When u wash u also kill off the bacteria living on the top layer(but if your filtration has bacteria media of some sort or plenty of LR then it shouldn't affect too much). Same if u add new sand.

Get rid of the source and you will get rid of your diatom, cyanobacteria, dinoflagette, nuisance algae problems.

Obviously, you must be either overfeeding or overstocking or have an inadequate nutrient export mechanism like a no skimmers/weak skimmer.

Here's what I recommend:

1. Trying blowing off detritus off your LR and corners of your tank to be captured by filter fool.

2. Reduce feeding immediately.

3. Do a water change.

4. Ensure that PH and Alk is on the higher side.

5. Add good quality carbon and good quality phosphate remover.

6. Total blackout of lights for 2 or 3 days. (Dun reduce circulation!)

7. Revaluate your filtration system... do you need a better quality skimmer? Do you have ample circulation and biological filtration? RECTIFY IMMEDIATELY!

This steps should drastically reduce DOC/DOM/nitrates/phosphates and thereby cutting off their food source.

Report back on the results..and good luck!

:)

• Sponsor

My filter is an internal overflow system. Filled with coral chips and filter wool. Also using polyfilters in there.

Im also using a canister and attached a UV sterilizer. I do have carbon (seagel) is my canister but it is about 6mths old. Do you think its time to be replace? Or how long can the carbon need replacement.

Using a sanders protien skimmer but felt that its too small for the tank. Same LFS says that protein skimmer is not neccesary is you do regular water change. Is it true?

Will try and see your advise works. Thanks for all the help.

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem but instead of brown algae,I have

what seems from the outside like green slummy patches around the front of the sand bed.

But when i reach inside to feel the patches,its not slummy at all.

In fact I think they grow on the sand as I can only feel sand when I reach to touch them.

I assume it should be green algae on the sand.

What does that mean?

My PH is ard 8 - 8.3.

KH:12 drop.

NO2:0

Pls advice

• SRC Member

eerr carbon can be disposed by 2 weeks(some even consider this too long)- long term use just makes it media for bacteria.

Yes - without protein skimmer u need regular water changes. Do u do one every week?

For example: if i had 100ppm nitrates & i do a 10%-15% waterchange every 7days i end with 20ppm for the next 5 days or so, but if i leave it to 14days & beyond then it just goes up to 100ppm again.

u can try seachem phosguard...follow instructions & change accordingly,every week or two.

For a 4ft it takes abt 3weeks onward before u notice a huge dip in phosphates.

Good luck