BioPhos

• SRC Member
Hi Brothers,

I have the same problem too, is drive me like crazy. Please provide more information on step by step on the usage. BTW, my sump is full of grape alga, is it suitable to use this korallin's Biophos and how much per package?

Thanks in advance :thanks:

The biophos comes in 2 sizes .... 1/2 kg comes at $34.00 and the 1kg comes at $64.00

doesn't effect grape algae or any other kind of algae in your sump at all.... :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter

ok thans,but i got no idea where to place them :( initally tot of placing it in the overflow system.

can it be fully sumerge in water?or have to be like the wet-dry filter system?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member
ok thans,but i got no idea where to place them :( initally tot of placing it in the overflow system.

can it be fully sumerge in water?or have to be like the wet-dry filter system?

yes you can place them at your overflow system....maybe next to the compartment after the refigium or so.... :D

you can submerge it....no problem at all..... :D

• SRC Member

funny.. if these things are efficient in absorbing PO4 from water, then wouldn't washing reduce the ability of it coz during washing, it will already absorb the PO4?

thats why no one recommends washing Rowaphos..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
funny.. if these things are efficient in absorbing PO4 from water, then wouldn't washing reduce the ability of it coz during washing, it will already absorb the PO4?

thats why no one recommends washing Rowaphos..

you have to activate it with warm water not washing 'till it absorbs all the phosphates in the tap water.... :blink:

in anycase you have to rinse products like these...I wouldn't dare put anything without a proper rinse in the first place.....Rowaphos or not... :lol:

you have to activate it with warm water not washing 'till it absorbs all the phosphates in the tap water.... :blink:

in anycase you have to rinse products like these...I wouldn't dare put anything without a proper rinse in the first place.....Rowaphos or not... :lol:

I agree. By rinsing Biophos in warm or hot water is to activate the product, if not it will stay dormant. Exactly why I don't know, maybe some chemist here can enlighten.

Anyway, I have used Biophos for 1 month liao and experience significant reduction of Diatoms. Cyno-wise only a little, at the end, I ended up getting Redslime Remover from ML.

Just my 2 cents ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I agree. By rinsing Biophos in warm or hot water is to activate the product, if not it will stay dormant. Exactly why I don't know, maybe some chemist here can enlighten.

Anyway, I have used Biophos for 1 month liao and experience significant reduction of Diatoms. Cyno-wise only a little, at the end, I ended up getting Redslime Remover from ML.

Just my 2 cents ;)

it cleared my cyno completely though... :D with long term use of slime remover might effect your biological system...so try not to depend on it too much.... :D

• SRC Member

you're welcome...he..he...I see you bought them already...ah?.... :lol:

Good product........biophos, just tried 250g on my 300L tank and already showing the hair algaes disappearing.........lets just hope the price stays on.........

it cleared my cyno completely though... :D with long term use of slime remover might effect your biological system...so try not to depend on it too much.... :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Thanks bro, will keep in mind.

Anyway, after the initial nuking with Red Slime Remover, I have great results keeping the cyno's at bay with the Bio-Phos.

I think Edwin should give us discounts rather than increasing :peace: .

But I must say, I am really happy with it.

By the way, just to share, a firend of my bought Bio-Phos and immediately place it into the water without rinsing with warm/hot water and it did not work, when he read about this thread he took them out after two weeks of soaking in his sump and had not problem activating the bio-phos. I am sharing this cuz they may be brothers out there forgeting to activate the bio-phos and now stuck. :angel:

In true fact everything we put into our tanks needs to be rinsed....wether it's Rowaphos or not , it needs to be rinsed period.

not everything that put into the tank needs to be rinsed, so far you have not used rowaphos, so you did not get the chance to read its directions of use...

they recommend us not to rinse the rowaphos before putting in the water....coz the good stuff will be rinsed away....rowaphos need NOT be activated prior to adding into water..

but biophos needs to be activated before using....i used both before.,even contraphos..*period* :lol:

• SRC Member

Even though I have not tried Rowaphos....I doubt I would want to place anything inside my precioussssssssss.... tank without a rinse first.... :lol: Rowaphos or not nothing goes in there without a bath first and I don't think theres such a thing as all the "good things" will be washed away.... :lol::lol::lol::lol: is that some vodoo practice or what..... :lol: where did you get that from... :lol: By the way I've read their directions but will not allow such a thing to be placed in my tank period without it's "virgin" bath... :lol:

I should say you've tried everything...... :rolleyes:

if u ever see rowaphos, u will notice that biophos looks like milo powder whereas rowaphos is like small hard bits of coal like material...

thus, manufacturer's directions of use should be followed whether we like to rinse or not to rinse....since both are different in structure and form to our eyes....chemical composition may be the same..that i dunno...but since their physical structure differs....thus different instructions for us

for you, you always like to rinse everything before putting in your precious tank, so biophos suits you fine, since the manufacturer explicitly said to rinse with hot/warm water before use to activate the material prior to use

for me, i read instructions, not a voodoo or habitual thing whether i choose to rinse or not....when use biophos i rinse, when use rowaphos, i do not rinse, all according to instrutions...wat's the point of buying something and end up not following the manufacturer's instructions of use? :blink:

for biophos, if u dun rinse with hot/warm water, it will not do the phosphate absorbing work that you want it to do, for rowaphos, it will do the phosphate absorbing work without rinsing....that's all..

whatever things u use, read the instructions, not whether u feel like rinsing or not rinsing :lol:

i have used:

rowaphos

contraphos

biophos

phosguard

azpo4

at one point or another during this hobby...each carries their own unique set of instructions...

so please, for all reefers using such products, please read the instructions :D

i think other bros who have also used a range of products will also be able to give fairer and unbiased opinions on products...

doesn't mean that one product works well means it's the best and the only way to go about doing it.... :lol:

anyway, come to think of it...

if any media has to be rinsed before use, you must take into account the residual media left after rinsing tat would react with water...

eg...

some media can be cheaper....but if end up washing some amount away, cost per unit useable weight in the end may be more expensive than those media that need not be rinsed....

of coz the amount washed away can be of neglible or considerable weight....depending how much was washed away

just think of it when buying... :D

• SRC Member
if u ever see rowaphos, u will notice that biophos looks like milo powder whereas rowaphos is like small hard bits of coal like material...

thus, manufacturer's directions of use should be followed whether we like to rinse or not to rinse....since both are different in structure and form to our eyes....chemical composition may be the same..that i dunno...but since their physical structure differs....thus different instructions of us

for you, you always like to rinse everything before putting in your precious tank, so biophos suits you fine, since the manufacturer explicitly said to rinse with hot/warm water before use to activate the material prior to use

for me, i read instructions, not a voodoo or habitual thing whether i choose to rinse or not....when use biophos i rinse, when use rowaphos, i do not rinse, all according to instrutions...wat's the point of buying something and end up not following the manufacturer's instructions of use? :blink:

for biophos, if u dun rinse with hot/warm water, it will not do the phosphate absorbing work that you want it to do, for rowaphos, it will do the phosphate absorbing work without rinsing....that's all..

whatever things u use, read the instructions, not whether u feel like rinsing or not rinsing :lol:

aiyah....what do you think when I wanted to try both products on hand for clearing phosphates? Read instructions first lor...... :lol: Not because I bought Biophos because it can be rinsed but because no one has mentioned about it much and all the time I hear about Rowaphos. So the Biophos was the "dark horse" in this case.... :lol:

I guess people like to follow instructions so theres no problem about that but what I was merely saying is that I don't put anything inside my preciousssssss tank without a rinse first. I can't stop someone from not wanting to rinse theirs in any case.... ;) Besides this is about Biophos and Arcanehacker is the one that mentioned Rowaphos didn't have to be rinsed.

Sometimes topic's can fly away.... :lol:

• SRC Member
anyway, come to think of it...

if any media has to be rinsed before use, you must take into account the residual media left after rinsing tat would react with water...

eg...

some media can be cheaper....but if end up washing some amount away, cost per unit useable weight in the end may be more expensive than those media that need not be rinsed....

of coz the amount washes away can be of neglible or considerable weight....

just think of it when buying... :D

wow...if I went into detail about everything I buy for this hobby....I would wind up more with a headache then being able to relive stress.... :lol:

• SRC Member

dun think the topic was drifted alot, still kept to the confines of mentioning biophos and related phosphate removing stuff.... :rolleyes:

anyway, follow instructions, whatever products u use, and u wun go wrong :lol:

it's true that it's about related topics regarding phosphates absorbers but more info is appreciated about "Biophos" here not Rowaphos in any case.

This thread is for those that have not used Biophos before and want to find out more..... :peace:

It has already helped someone who didn't know the proper instructions regarding Biophos.... :D

wow...if I went into detail about everything I buy for this hobby....I would wind up more with a headache then being able to relive stress.... :lol:

precisely, this hobby tends to favour more to the technically, scientifically proficient hobbyists nowadays....all the new high tech equipment, methods of reefing....and so on...

but as long as you have made it here in the net, there's a vast amount of information to be shared with bros here or even out there with international reefers/websites...

i doubt many will want to sit through those detailed chemistry-based articles on reef chemistry....but it helps understand what goes on and what could be done to improve tank conditions...

but if a reefer just wants to go by word of mouth or personal experience, then probably will take a longer time to get joy out of this hobby...and achieve a more complete comprehension of this hobby

no one stops learning, even in this hobby :lol:

• SRC Member

precisely, this hobby tends to favour more to the technically, scientifically proficient hobbyists nowadays....all the new high tech equipment, methods of reefing....and so on...

but as long as you have made it here in the net, there's a vast amount of information to be shared with bros here or even out there with international reefers/websites...

i doubt many will want to sit through those detailed chemistry-based articles on reef chemistry....but it helps understand what goes on and what could be done to improve tank conditions...

but if a reefer just wants to go by word of mouth or personal experience, then probably will take a longer time to get joy out of this hobby...and achieve a more complete comprehension of this hobby

no one stops learning, even in this hobby :lol:

I agree...because this hobby is an ongoing learning process and it's alot more detailed then it's counterpart in the field.

Wether it's true word of mouth or a degree in marine biology theres no one "true" proper instruction or a specific way in which we build our own reefs in the comforts of our home.

What we don't want is to be led by everything we come across be it the net , forums or people we have come to know because each of our unique reef systems is differently managed and maintained true our hard work of learning whats right and not and through the many years of our very own experience in this hobby..... ;)