• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
;)

post-9-1079963158.jpg

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

actually some say that the box below the cylinder will cause burps...a simpler and more direct method is the one precision marine's skimmer...

no box below...

burping meaning...now and then there will be a sudden surge of bubbles from the box trapped at the corners of the box and then surge upwards and the foam on top will seem like its burping instead of a steady foam ....

just my 2 cents

post-9-1080268518.jpg

• SRC Member

roidan

I think 'blurping' will not be a problem if one can adjust the level of the 45 degree elbow to be more above the cylinder/box sump interface. Also tilting the angle of the 45 degree elbow to direct the output further up into the cylinder main body will reduce such effect.

As you can see, there will be a lot os swirling of the output due to the angle of the output thus increasing the contact time.

As for the height of the riser, better to go slightly higher a bit and the dujust the gate valve to the required foam quality that is desired, either wet or super dry. If the iniyial design of the riser is too short, then you sure cannot get dry foam.

actually by drilling the cylinder itself at the bottom, above the box, to input the beckett driven water, will definitely minimise the problem....u will lose one or 2 inch of reaction height since u start higher now...but i think for a tall skimmer like yours...the benefits outweigh the loss of the 2 inch reaction height

and the box will have water with much less microbubbles to return to the sump.... :)

something like the position below...and then do the swirling angle just like what u have now...should reduce alot of microbubbles at the box below...

post-9-1080270150.jpg

• SRC Member

Alpha,

Good question.....still yet to find out if the arcylic is ozone safe. But for me, not going to run a ozone....think will be killing those good bacteria also. Going for a more natural system like the ZeoVit, which is currently running in my small tank.

Longer main body=longer contact time BUT need stronger pump like a MX70. As my tank is 4', think my DIY one is already a bit overkilled.

Contact time can also be increased through swirling, as in 'tornedo' effect in the main body. Turning the water round the body as the bulk of the water and bubbles rise up to the riser.

1 section main body like mine max height can go is about 500mm, as any longer, then you will have problem trying to mount all the pipings and doing cleaning unless if you have a basket ball player's arm :lol:

If higher main body is required, then make another section of same 500mm and bolt them, then servicing is much easier. IMHO

Roidan

Drilling the cylinder body to insert a pipe has the joint problem. As you know, the local shops have yet to reach the standard to make a proper joint else water will leak. Unless you use weld-on 16 or 40 to bond the pve and arcylic together, which I am going to get them in May :lol: Maybe I will organise a bulk order.

• SRC Member

Just to side track a bit, just back from Germany and saw at the place where I bought my noozle for my skimmer they have another bigger size unit. My current unit is same size as the beckett and the bigger unit is 2.5 times the height and diameter is 1.5 times. Pipe diameter to fit this giant is 1". Normal size beckett uses only 0.5" pipe.

Cannot imagine what the output will be like when use a stronger pump to run it.