Beautiful Reef Fishes... (Mainly Gobies)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is sharknose = golden neon goby? Look similar to me. Anyone can advise on how to spot the difference?

What you have is a Elacatinus figaro, typically named as Barber Goby or Golden Neon Goby, there are quite a number of variations.

Some of which are tank raised, and a supposed hybrid.

We have the same fish, I will be posting pictures of it soon :)

• SRC Member

Do some search on the Net and these are what I found. # most look alike Goby.

1) Elacatinus figaro

Elacatinus_figaro_VT-04-258_Brazil.gif

2) Gobiosoma randalli

Gobiosoma_evelynae1.jpg

3) Gobiosoma evelynae

Gobiosoma_evelynaeBAH3.jpg

A informative article that discuss on them.

hmm.... still can't figure out the different in them. But for sure, Gobiosoma evelynae have blue and white striped. Mine do not seems to have, maybe still not adult yet?

JC

JC,

If we have gotten both of ours from the same LFF, then I'm pretty certain we have Gobiosoma (Elacatinus) figaro.

Then again, if you read Henry Schultz III article, you can see that its is difficult to tell Gobiosoma (Elacatinus) figaro from Gobiosoma (Elacatinus) xanthiprora, or Gobiosoma (Elacatinus) louisae.

Its definately something to find out, u wanna take up the challenge? :P

• Sponsor
2/5

PinkBar Goby

Aaurora.jpg

;) Hi there, if anyone is looking for the pinkbar goby or Amblyeleotris aurora, EAP has a few good specimens in stock.

Rumor's Catalina gobies are indeed a fish to die for, however, the reason for their rarity in Singapore appears to be the high DOA rates with suppliers from the Carribean for the past years. EAP is hoping to get a reliable supplier who handles the fish well, or if necessary, aquacultured specimens, in order to import this species. ;)

The Catalina also requires lower temperate water to thrive, so a good reliable supplier with proper facilities is essential.

I'm not sure if they had successfully aquacultured Catalinas which they did for Neon Gobies.

We'll keep our fingers crossed till then.

JC, the information is right there in Cyberspace, get your fingers working... :D

• SRC Member

Hmm.. After looking through the goby research frontier, it seems that we indeed have the Gobiosoma (Elacatinus) figaro. Both figaro and randalli have the center gold pattern in the forehead but figaro typically have yellow tail while randalli does not. :idea:

The Catalina also requires lower temperate water to thrive, so a good reliable supplier with proper facilities is essential.

I'm not sure if they had successfully aquacultured Catalinas which they did for Neon Gobies.

We'll keep our fingers crossed till then.

JC, the information is right there in Cyberspace, get your fingers working... :D

Bro... There are tank raised specimen in the States liao... Just that they are not good shipper... :nc::nc:

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

:yeah: Guess I will drop down later...was gonna do a medicated dip for one of my yashias...the breathing seems rather heavy...suspected gill parasites..anyway..guess I will have to do that later..it went hiding after it escaped my net.. <_<

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Looking good, will pop by to have a look when I get the chance.

Need a bigger tank though, not much space left, or contest for space will start.

Fuel likes the bizarre, while I prefer exquisites ... must admit the Dracula would be a nice addition :rolleyes: