Need advice on fish and corals

piero

• SRC Member

Hi all the old birds out there, need some advice. I have finally finished the cycling of my tank after reseting it two weeks ago. Had a major disaster. Currently have some mushroom and two damsel fish inside. Thinking of getting a flame angel and some other fishes. Any advice for the type of fish I am put in that is reef safe?? My tank is 3ft by 18 inches by 18 inches. Oh and what type of corals can I keep. Got MH lights over it but only 150W plus two FL blue. Thanks a million in advance.

PH 8.1

Ammonia 0

No2 0

No3 0

Temp 26.5 - 27.5 :unsure:

• SRC Member

You can keep almost all softies and LPS without problem with that light. Becareful of corals fighting in a small tank.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hI,

Flame angels are sweet but you risk them eating corals. Not all of them do though; on the other hand, people have reported that some really innocent ones start nipping a little after some time. You might want to run through some online US marine livestock catalogs - they almost always tell you whether they are reef-safe. Firefish are great, tangs are reef-safe too (hope the tang police won't be after my blood for this! :cry: ), cardinals, clowns (not more than a pair per tank), hawkfish, anthias (hard to keep, I heard, but very nice), chromis etc. Just a partial list. :D

Regards,

Hong Yee

• SRC Member
hI,

Flame angels are sweet but you risk them eating corals. Not all of them do though; on the other hand, people have reported that some really innocent ones start nipping a little after some time. You might want to run through some online US marine livestock catalogs - they almost always tell you whether they are reef-safe. Firefish are great, tangs are reef-safe too (hope the tang police won't be after my blood for this! :cry: ), cardinals, clowns (not more than a pair per tank), hawkfish, anthias (hard to keep, I heard, but very nice), chromis etc. Just a partial list. :D

Regards,

Hong Yee

for my case, the dawrfs angel likes to pick on buttons coral :blink:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Can anyone give me some pointers? I currently have two damsels and one benny. Been cheated quite a bit the last time by the H##&^^*@^ fish shop in lavender. Need some solid help here from the good old pple here. Is bubble a hard coral? What else are easy corals to keep?? And where can I find yellow tangs and flame angels and what are their prices generally?? Thanks. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Can anyone give me some pointers? I currently have two damsels and one benny. Been cheated quite a bit the last time by the H##&^^*@^ fish shop in lavender. Need some solid help here from the good old pple here. Is bubble a hard coral? What else are easy corals to keep?? And where can I find yellow tangs and flame angels and what are their prices generally?? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Yes, bubble is hard coral. By right, the easy one is mushroom and buttons lor ........

I bought my yellow tank 2 yrs ago at $20, as for frames it was $42 1½ yrs ago if i remember correct. Careful when you buy yellow tank as there two types ( one bright yellow and the other dull yellow). Of course the bright yellow one is nicer :D

And more importantly, I can login at hm again :lol:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Yes, bubble is hard coral. By right, the easy one is mushroom and buttons lor ........

I bought my yellow tank 2 yrs ago at $20, as for frames it was $42 1½ yrs ago if i remember correct. Careful when you buy yellow tank as there two types ( one bright yellow and the other dull yellow). Of course the bright yellow one is nicer :D

And more importantly, I can login at hm again :lol:

yellow tank? Tang

• SRC Member

Piero,

Bubble is a "hard" coral, as oppose to soft coral, not as oppose to easy coral. They are quite easy to keep...strong light and low current. You can even handfeed them with silversides or cut prawns. For easy ones, keep to mushrooms. I'm a mushroom fan and I find them as amazing as any other types. There are plenty of colours to choose from and they frag quite eaasily. I've bright red, blue, green, greenish-blue, purple, greenish-purple, hairy.......

But don't put the bubble too near to the other corals, it will expland a lot in the day and can sting the others, including mushrooms.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Oh i like mushroom too. think of getting more mushroom, but dunno where I can get those red and blue ones.. My brown and green ones are fragging nicely.... And I am looking for yellow tang, purple tang and flame angel. Anyone knows their market price?

• SRC Member

Yellow Tang is around $20-$25 for a small/medium one. Purple tang is around $50-$55. Flame is around $40. Yellow tangs and flames are quite easy to find at this time at lfs. The last time I saw purple tangs was at Reborn before CNY.

As for super red, blue or purple mushrooms, must patiently wait for shipment. I got mine after waiting for over six months at marinelife last year.

Happy hunting!

Hi Piero,

IMO,I dont think you are able to place both yellow and purple tang together.

I had a friend who did just that result in selling his yellow tang to me.

As for super blue mushroom, you can try pasir ris.

I just bought one for S$25 2 days back.However, they are meant for export so do not know if still have.

BTW can any mushroom expert tell me what is the requirements blue mushroom need?from my knowledge they should be quite easy .As well as for the price i bought can it consider reasonable as i have heard its about S$18 but didnt mind paying for that little bit more for the colour as I have yet came across any since I started the hobby three months back.

• SRC Member

Ok... I just bought a brownish colored tang, then can I add a blue tang or powder blue tang?? I am willing to pay good price for mushroom cos they are doing well in my tank. I heard that indonesia stock coming in for marine life, sealife and reborn.. What type of fish to look out for??

• SRC Member
GOOD LUCK to watever fish u r going to add, bro/sis.... :evil: IMO...they are the marine version of Osama bin Laden :lol::lol::lol:

Don't forget the fish call Bush too.

• SRC Member

I need some suggestions to populate my 3x1.5x1.5ft tank after it finishes its cycle (a sump is going to be added quite soon and I already have a second-hand Resun Chiller). Due to budget and location constraints, I can only have these lights: 1 set of Arcadia Marine White (9500K) and Actinic Blue Fluorescent Tubes, and another set of 4x36W/10kK PCs.

I understand that it is best not to mix hard & soft corals as well as sponges. I will like to have fishes as well as some cleaning crews from the Molluscs and Crustaceans families. Can anyone recommend a good combination? Of course, my tank will be populated slowly over the months...

• SRC Member

Bi-coloured Blenny is not fierce and looks very adorable. Will initially eat algae but will take dry food and brine easily. It needs rocks and hiding place and is lives its life around its cave.