Aquarium Lighting

mohamed

sounds like u r after this combination cos u wanna control the actinic blue and the MH by timers. if i m not wrong, dr evil once owned a atman 2x 150W MH wif 4x 36W blue PL. but there is only one power point although the individual lights r controlled by individual switches.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

u re right. I have a few choices such as Arcadia & Aqua Medic. both of these lights hav in-built timers. Atman, Hilux, etc come with one cord therefore not able to alternate the lights. Are there any more of such lights in the market so that I can make a good consideration.

u can get dr evil or any other certified electrician to reroute the cables for u. end up u will get 2 power points. 1 for MH and 1 for PL. think octopus bay oso got a electrician to re route the wires on their MH (which they use for their display tank) for them.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
if u need to have a seperate switches, u definate need to rewire....i have done a number of fixtures lioa.....

how safe are u talking about? :lol: ....if u get someone to rewire ur house, does it meant it certified??

dr evil,

If I buy the hilux or atman light and let you do the rewiring, how much do you charge?

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member
u re right. I have a few choices such as Arcadia & Aqua Medic. both of these lights hav in-built timers. Atman, Hilux, etc come with one cord therefore not able to alternate the lights. Are there any more of such lights in the market so that I can make a good consideration.

Looks like we are in the same boat. My problem is worse. Since my tank will be 2.5ft deep, I was told to go for at least 250w. If this is the case, then Atman and Hilux are out since they don't make 250w light.

My choices are left with Arcadia, AquaMedic, Giesmann, or Aqualight.

The problem is, unlike Atman and Hilux, most of these light don't come with stand. You have to hang them on the ceiling which my HM does not allow.

Anyone has any better advise?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

Looks like we are in the same boat. My problem is worse. Since my tank will be 2.5ft deep, I was told to go for at least 250w. If this is the case, then Atman and Hilux are out since they don't make 250w light.

The problem is, unlike Atman and Hilux, most of these light don't come with stand. You have to hang them on the ceiling which my HM does not allow.

Thanks,

Patrick

Get Dr Evil to DIY one for u.

• SRC Member
No offense to all the DIY folks out there. I just like the look and feel of a commercial product. Of course unless the DIY one can look like one.

As u mentioned, commercial products does not meet your specs, that's why I suggested DIY.

• SRC Member
No offense to all the DIY folks out there. I just like the look and feel of a commercial product. Of course unless the DIY one can look like one.

Patrick123, I recently suffered the same dilema as you. My final solution was to use a commercial unit with a DIY/custom mount for my tank. The mount is still under design. All depends on your tank and where you can mount. Visiting Ikea can be quite inspirational :idea:

• SRC Member

Thanks,

Patrick

den get those branded 250W pendant and diy a stand lor. Dr evil's diy looks good. can try this design used by james72.

--------------------------------------

| | | |

| |____________| |

| |

| |

| |

anyway i going for his diy one. y pay more? same same hehe. easily can save $400 - 500 leh.

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member
Patrick123, I recently suffered the same dilema as you. My final solution was to use a commercial unit with a DIY/custom mount for my tank. The mount is still under design. All depends on your tank and where you can mount. Visiting Ikea can be quite inspirational :idea:

Can you share with us which commercial brand did you go for, and what is the design of your DIY stand?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member
den get those branded 250W pendant and diy a stand lor. Dr evil's diy looks good. can try this design used by james72.

--------------------------------------

| | | |

| |____________| |

| |

| |

| |

anyway i going for his diy one. y pay more? same same hehe. easily can save $400 - 500 leh.

Any pic to show?

• SRC Member

Hi,

Ur tank is 2.5 ft deep, right. MH light will definitely suffice, unless u re going for SPS. What re the commercial products u re relating? Care to share with me. I hav Artica and Aqua Medic quotes, so far. Do u have any others?