Flame Angel

ckevin

How safe are they in your reef?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How safe are they in your reef?

• Safe
    • 50/50
    • Stay Clear

Mine so far so good... got it when its really small.

threw him into a cage! keke... made sure he eats nori, cyclopeeze and brine shrimps for abt 2 weeks (also ensure he doesn't develops whitespots) before releasing into main tank...

with me abt 2-3 months already... putting on weight... so far doesn't peck on corals, but does work on the LRs.

for my case, i guess the trick is to buy smaller size ones... train them to eat before releasing...

Im doing the same for my yellow-eye kole now as well... its been in the cage for 1 week already...

• SRC Member

Thank all for the feedback. Also i thank the moderator who helped set the poll format right. :)

I have had much success with th flame angel. In fact right from the start of my hobby, i have never excluded the flame angel from my inhabitant list. I have become a little apprehensive only after the plunge into sps. In fact, my fear was instilled when a fellow reefer who adopted my last piece of Flame angel complained of it pecking on his clam's mantle. And the funny thing is that the same angel had been very nice and obedient in my reef for almost a year!

To get or not to get this handsome fish? Well... maybe i will toss a coin to that. :lol:

BTW, freewill, I am glad you share the liking for kole tang. One of my favorite fish. I am pretty experienced with this specimen. My advice is to have lots of live rock for grazing and if you have a yellow/purple zebrasome already, keep them in check for aggresive behavior.

A perfectly healthy kole trained to feed on prepared food can be stressed into poor health by a zebrasome. My 2 cents worth and wish you success.

Regards,

Kevin

• SRC Supporter

had 1 when im still very new in a 2.5ft tank... when doing some rockworks..think i over stressed it and die.. but all my other angels and fishes did not die.. i guess they are rather sensitive,on the pecking coral part.. mine din really peck on corals..accept ones or twice in 3mths :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Some say reef safe, some say not, I guess it depends on what corals you have and with a bit of luck it is reef safe. However most if not all will peck at the clam's mantle therefore the clam will slowly wither away by not opening it's mantle. This fish also peck at yellow zoanthids, not sure of other species.

I suppose you keep the right type of corals, it is reef safe.