my $1 diy kalk drip-er

coconut3

• SRC Member

razo,

i was thinking if i put in styrofoam balls...

the very fine kind, will it help?

it will float, yet if its a thick enough layer, will prevent too much interaction with air.

what you think? :D

very good :idea: but i really dun know what will happen... maybe u can try it n let us know? :whistle

• SRC Member

no worries Razo. juz out here to share our experience. :)

yes. we do not want the kalk residue from dripping into our tanks. but if the kalk residue has oredi clogged up the valve in the 1st place, how is the residue suppose to get in the tank. :)

as for leaving the container uncovered, i leave it up 2 u guys to decide. i myself is using a cover with a small hole drilled on top. :)

yes. we do not want the kalk residue from dripping into our tanks. but if the kalk residue has oredi clogged up the valve in the 1st place, how is the residue suppose to get in the tank. :)

what i mean is if the valve is clogged thats means lots of residue must have pass thru the value hence the blockage.

as for leaving the container uncovered, i leave it up 2 u guys to decide. i myself is using a cover with a small hole drilled on top. :)

actually i'm worst than you...i dun close my topup box (kalk drip) thats is why i come to notice the white precipitate :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Thought kalk solution needs to be "used" within a few hours of mixing or it will lose its "efficacy"? Anyone can confirm this?

BTW, you mean it takes more than a day for your kalk to settle down? When I was using Coralife Kalk, its was about 2 hours. Now with Reefz, it settles within the hour.

Thought kalk solution needs to be "used" within a few hours of mixing or it will lose its "efficacy"?  Anyone can confirm this?

i'm not so sure myself.. thought it was when expose to air...

BTW, you mean it takes more than a day for your kalk to settle down?  When I was using Coralife Kalk, its was about 2 hours. Now with Reefz, it settles within the hour.

i use reefz too...what i mean is i mix the kalk with water in a 2 lt bottle n tighten shut. I notice after 24 hr the water still a bit cloudy.. at 36 hr it was better n at 48 hr its almost as clear as tap water.. i have 2 bottle and mix it daily.. 1 day 1 bottle... mix bottle#1, pour bottle#2 into my DIY topup box amd mix bottle#2.... next day pour bottle#1 into my DIY topup box then mix bottle#1 and the cyclye continue... i very blur liao.. hope u understand :lol::lol:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=14140&st=40

see my topup pic n maybe clearer understanding

but to save u all the troble.. just get a kalk reactor from cookie...or get from DeepBlue he's selling his

container RM1.5 = ~$0.70

air valve = $0.30

Hi,

Thanks for sharing ur idea... I also did mine... however do u hav any idea how many drops per min or hr is recommended for my 30"x18"x18" tank? I'm using reefez.

worried that it might overdose my tank.

Thanks.

LoadnReady