Planning new setup. (first reef tank )

Hooked on the red sea reefer 250.

M1 return pump

2x Vortech MP10 ( or maybe MP40 )

2x Kessil a360

chiller - not yet decided,

Skimmer - not yet decided

My question is:

1. Can i cycle the tank without using the sump/return pump? IE. only rocks, and powerhead? Then later maybe 2-4 week in, would add the sump.

What i wanted to achieve with this, is that all the plumbing etc. for me would take some time, and just wanted to go ahead with the cycling right away.

2. Do i need to run the chiller right away, or can i wait to its all cycled then later reduce the temperature.

3. I need the chiller with the lowest noise level possible.  prob. jbj 1/5 hp( is Hailea noise level same? ). Noise is very big issue, and im willing to spend the extra money on JBJ, if its significantly more quiet than the Hailea

Hoping for some useful feedback, and Happy New Year all

• SRC Member

Are you usin filter media in the sump? It may be a good idea to put th media in a bag and place it in the tank as well when you are still doing the plumbing for the sump. ayou will have to turn on the power heads for circulation since your return pump is not on yet. No need to turn chiller on yet.

45 minutes ago, reefbuilder said:

Are you usin filter media in the sump? It may be a good idea to put th media in a bag and place it in the tank as well when you are still doing the plumbing for the sump. ayou will have to turn on the power heads for circulation since your return pump is not on yet. No need to turn chiller on yet.

Though of maybe buying a marine pure block. ill put it in the main tank during cycling, until i get the sump up and running. 

The most important thing for the bacteria while Cycling keeping the tank oxygenated via water movement. You don't want to create conditions which favour the wrong bacteria. Bacteria isn't very fussy about temperature and will grow happily at ambient temperatures. Just make sure you introduce the right bacteria with live rock. Personally I've never used any starter cultures to kick start.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I have cycled many tanks without a chiller.  Good luck!

Just starting (October 2009).

Here is what I have so far:

EQUIPMENT

3x2x2.5 Tank

Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060

Artica 1/4 HP Chiller

Deltec APF600 Skimmer

Dymax 150W Metal Halide

Eheim 2060 Return Pump

Nautilus Phosphate Reactor

LIVESTOCK

65 Kgs Live Rock