Looking for Moonlight LED w/ lunar cycle

markietan

• SRC Member

Can't seem to find it in the anymore... I find the LED strip that I have too bright to use at night, want something dimmer. Saw that there used to be quite a few of these moonlight w/ lunar cycle (29.5days) devices previously but no longer available in the market. Have anyone chanced upon something like this at a LFS or online, can pls share? Thanks

Examples

http://www.fish-street.com/advance_360_degree_auto_detect_led_moonlight

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/moon-controller-system.html

http://www.marinedepot.com/R2_Moonlight_Controller_Accessories_for_Moon_Light_Fixtures-R2_Solutions-RM1131-FILTFIMLAC-vi.html

cheers

• SRC Member

ok so i found some on taobao but not sure if they have lunar cycle in built.. anyone with good chinese can help check pls?

https://www.taobao.com/oshtml/buy-cn/cp_ueK40Muu1-XP5A.html

btw understand that AI and Radio have inbuilt functions like this but since i'm using T5... this moonlight is more to supplement. don't really need a full blown LED set and have limited budget constraints. thx!

Hi,
Actually I am looking for 1 too & I have it in my ezbuy basket (waiting for CNY period over before they send over).

If u read carefully the taobao one is the same as the fish street 360 degree model. So base on the fish street description, it should have lunar cycle, light sensor to off/on the unit plus sensitivity level. However, not seen the manual so don't know how its gonna work or set it.
I am bad in Chinese too. Will be a steep learning curve for me too if too too complicated.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

My moonlight has arrived few days ago from China. I have ordered the smallest set & cost about $30 including shipping & ezbuy shipping fee.

1st impression : reasonable quality with plastic cover for both LED & sensor unit, good enough for any occasional splashing. LED nothing special, think u can get it cheaply at SL.

Time to test it. The auto ON/OFF works. It has adjustable sensitivity level but I have not tested it (don't know how anyway as manual never state).

I placed the sensor sideway away from my G4 LED. This way when my G4 gets dimmer around 8pm, the moonlight will turn ON. So the trick as to when u want the moonlight to switch on is where (direction/distance) to place it from the main light source.

Below is photo of my G4 & the moonlight. U can see the moonlight is ON as the LED goes dimmer.
fab525d0ff54cfe1e20a27f2f310fb8d.jpg

Directly shining from above, too bright for my liking :
f9b7764a87cf341a611b9441ae082abf.jpg

Adjust it to face sideway. Much better. Btw my tank is 422 :
36175cf60a6d7c719635621cd0bb5038.jpg

It has lunar cycle function BUT I am not sure if it does, just a few days into it & haven't seen the changes in intensity.

In the morning, it goes off around 8-9am depends on weather!! Could be later if your tank is in a dark environment. So the sensitivity setting may be useful if it works (never test it or dk how!!!).

For those interested to read the specs & Chinese as powderful as me, this moonlight is sold under Bubble Magnus brand in US & Europe. U can do a google search.

Hope this simple review helps.

Btw, some may ask why I don't use the G4 lunar cycle. I do but now I set it off at 12am. I don't want to overwork the G4 royal blue (impt spectrum for coral photosynthesis & u usually blast it during daytime). Afterall moonlight just for nocturnal activities, no need to use good LED.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app