Vino's Tank

vino05

• SRC Member

This time round, do cycle the tank properly before adding any livestock and do not add so many livestock all at once.  Else it could crash again.  Do read up a bit while tank is cycling, don't rush again this time.

17 hours ago, DottyClown said:

Looks like Aiptasia.  It's a pest and can spread like wild fire if handled wrong.

Thanks. Read a bit on it. So far only spotted 1 of it on the rock. Any suggestion if i shld leave it there or remove it now. I'm still cycling the water for now and willbe doing so for the next 2 months.

18 hours ago, yukok.lim08 said:

Just curious how can one week tank crash ? You direct put fish inside when cycling water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Yukok... Yes bought the sea water and only let it cycle overnight with the rocks. Added fishes the next day on the instruction of the LFS and whole tank wiped out. After reading more here, ended up restarting the tank with proper cycling. :(

18 hours ago, DottyClown said:

This time round, do cycle the tank properly before adding any livestock and do not add so many livestock all at once.  Else it could crash again.  Do read up a bit while tank is cycling, don't rush again this time.

Thanks Dottyclown. Water has cycled for 1 week, now added the liverock. Any idea how long more to cycle? And what type of fishes are recommended to be added first? Was thinking of cycling the water till next month and start off with a pair of nemo and some cleaning units.

• SRC Member

Bro check ur water is the NSW n haven change since day 1? Those rocks look a bit different from the pic u posted in the other thread yea..the colours is lighter tone now..do u dose anything? :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

2 minutes ago, kenyee said:

Bro check ur water is the NSW n haven change since day 1? Those rocks look a bit different from the pic u posted in the other thread yea..the colours is lighter tone now..do u dose anything? :)

Thanks. I restarted the whole tank. Threw away the old rocks and all. washed up the entire tank.

• SRC Member
11 minutes ago, vino05 said:

Thanks Dottyclown. Water has cycled for 1 week, now added the liverock. Any idea how long more to cycle? And what type of fishes are recommended to be added first? Was thinking of cycling the water till next month and start off with a pair of nemo and some cleaning units.

You should cycle with the liverocks, just cycling water without any liverocks or biomedia is useless as there is no place to house and grow the necessary bacteria.  Did you add a market prawn or similar, to kickstart the cycling?

Typical cycling time is 6-8 weeks, but I think can be cut short if you dose bacteria culture.

If you periodically test the water during cycling, for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and such, you will have a better picture of what stage your cycling is at, and if it is ready to add live stock.

But if you not going to test the water, then it would be safer to wait out the full 8 weeks before adding any CUC/livestock.

2 minutes ago, DottyClown said:

You should cycle with the liverocks, just cycling water without any liverocks or biomedia is useless as there is no place to house and grow the necessary bacteria.  Did you add a market prawn or similar, to kickstart the cycling?

Typical cycling time is 6-8 weeks, but I think can be cut short if you dose bacteria culture.

If you periodically test the water during cycling, for nitrite, nitrate, ammonia and such, you will have a better picture of what stage your cycling is at, and if it is ready to add live stock.

But if you not going to test the water, then it would be safer to wait out the full 8 weeks before adding any CUC/livestock.

Thanks Dottyclown. I have not added a market prawn. For now it's just the live rocks. You recommend that i get 1 to kick start the cycling? Other than prawn anything else that helps to kick start it? Will be doing a water test soon.

2 minutes ago, kenyee said:

So u got new LR again or?water is NSW again?

Yes new LR, new sand. Water NSW>> referring to Salt Water?. If yes, then you are right. Started everything again from scratch. 

• SRC Member
Just now, vino05 said:

Yes new LR, new sand. Water NSW>> referring to Salt Water?. If yes, then you are right. Started everything again from scratch. 

NSW aka natural sea water.. :) Imho, its better to use salt mix water

Pro n con using LR..Look out for pests n remove them if possible..good luck :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member
34 minutes ago, vino05 said:

Thanks. Read a bit on it. So far only spotted 1 of it on the rock. Any suggestion if i shld leave it there or remove it now. I'm still cycling the water for now and willbe doing so for the next 2 months.

Different reefers have different successful method of dealing with Aiptasia.  Some find using Aiptasia-X or Joe's Juice to work for them, while for others (me included) it did not work, and in fact made it worse.

Some used Peppermint Shrimps to eat the aiptasia, though there are also reports that their shrimps won't even touch the aiptasia.

For me, when aiptasia-x didn't work for me, so I tried the shrimps which cleared some of it.  The remaining which for some reason the shrimp won't clear, I simply took the rock out and chip the infested sections away, haha.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kenyee said:

NSW aka natural sea water.. :) Imho, its better to use salt mix water

Pro n con using LR..Look out for pests n remove them if possible..good luck :)

Yes, used natural sea water. Bought it from the LFS. Looking out for pests now, for now only spotted Aiptasia.

• SRC Member
15 minutes ago, vino05 said:

Thanks Dottyclown. I have not added a market prawn. For now it's just the live rocks. You recommend that i get 1 to kick start the cycling? Other than prawn anything else that helps to kick start it? Will be doing a water test soon.

Bro, go through the SRC forum, there are useful postings on how to do a proper cycling. A couple can be found in "New to the Marine Hobby" and topic is "Proper Cycling" by reefer yikai and "Cycling of your new live rocks" by reefer he.

Edited by DottyClown
mising name added.

39 minutes ago, DottyClown said:

Bro, go through the SRC forum, there are useful postings on how to do a proper cycling. A couple can be found in "New to the Marine Hobby" and topic is "Proper Cycling" by reefer yikai and "Cycling of your new live rocks" by reefer he.

Thanks. Will go read up more :)

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, vino05 said:

Yes, used natural sea water. Bought it from the LFS. Looking out for pests now, for now only spotted Aiptasia.

Hi, I encountered single aiptasias before, would suggest to rid of them now before they have a chance to spread. FYI aiptasia is tricky in the sense if manual removal is not done well & the anemone is broken up & results in small fragments drifting about, it can grow into a whole new anemone!

So for my case what I did was disturb the aiptasia so that it retracted, then I superglued the hole on the rock where it was growing out from. Never saw it again :yahoo:

• SRC Member

Ya add a peeled market prawn and leave it inside. Let it dissolve

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

10 hours ago, JMW said:

Hi, I encountered single aiptasias before, would suggest to rid of them now before they have a chance to spread. FYI aiptasia is tricky in the sense if manual removal is not done well & the anemone is broken up & results in small fragments drifting about, it can grow into a whole new anemone!

So for my case what I did was disturb the aiptasia so that it retracted, then I superglued the hole on the rock where it was growing out from. Never saw it again :yahoo:

:o Woah... i better be quick in that case. Got to make a fast move then. Thanks thanks! I'm learning so many things. Hahaha.