MH color temp

killfire

• SRC Member

Having a problem with bryopsis and filamentous hair algae.

Setup specs:

3'L x 1.5'W x 2'H

1x 250W BLV10K - 8 hour photoperiod

1x 250W Saki6500K - 8 hour photoperiod

1x 39W T5 ATI Blueplus - 10 hour period

NO3 ~ 0 (Tetra test kit)

PO4 ~ 0 (Salifert using Hi-sensitivity test, slightly cloudy but colorless)

15% water change bi-weekly

Using RO+DI water (0 ppm TDS) as daily top-up water and for water changes

9 clams (2"-3"), 4 fishes (total body length ~ 6")

I was looking at some horticulture lighting specs and noticed that most of them are within the 3000K - 6000K range to take advantage of high PAR. Was wondering if the 6500K is the source of my algae problem. But can algae derive all their nutritional needs solely through photosysnthesis? Else, is there other parameters I should be looking out for?

Thanks.

I would possibly agree with you that the 6500k bulb is excellent not only for coral growth but also algae growth.

But algae growth can be controlled by the use of phosphate removers like Contraphos, Rowaphos, Phosguard.

Keeping your water free of nutrients like not overfeeding, overstocking or the use of very good skimmers, GAC etc will help a LOT too.

• SRC Member
I would possibly agree with you that the 6500k bulb is excellent not only for coral growth but also algae growth.

But algae growth can be controlled by the use of phosphate removers like Contraphos, Rowaphos, Phosguard.

Keeping your water free of nutrients like not overfeeding, overstocking or the use of very good skimmers, GAC etc will help a LOT too.

Hi AT,

I use to have a normal air bubble skimmer and algae is all over my tank. Light use 20KK MH

What is GAC??

Recently i changed a skimmer (schuran wannabe) :D which Skimmate is very thick and smelly. Is this all the phosphate?

SF

Nope... phosphate is phosphate.

The skimmate is proteins & dissolved organics.

GAC is Granular Activated Carbon. Look up the New to the Forum Reef Acronyms.

20k or 6500k, it doesn't matter, as long as there is enough light intensity, corals/algae will grow.