Setting up new Nano tank

Hi I just started learning about saltwater tank not too long ago and want to start out small.. I got a IQ7 acrylic tank I bought awhile ago and I'm gonna used my previous 1ft fw tank as a quarantine tank..

I've started with getting a dry rock and filled the tank with saltwater (tap water mixed with prime) and letting it run for a few days (with IQ5 skimmer) while I try to monitor the salinity before adding live sand into the tank.

After adding the sand in water turned cloudy which was normal and I let it be.. after a few hours water was clear but after 1 day water starts to be cloudy, I haven added anything in yet.. only thing I did was topping of water and measuring the salinity twice a day..

Anyone can tell me why is it cloudy??

IMG_6254.JPG.321b77eb74a5095f00e40dd100a

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt it's bacteria bloom, bacteria need food (basically organic carbon based waste) to bloom, which clearly in an empty system you do not have.

My guess is some sort of substances extracted from the sand or rock, did you wash them well with water before you put them in?

Next step is to cycle your tank, which in your case may be 1-3 weeks, depends on size, do not skip this step, and don't worry about the clouded water.

Do not, and i repeat, do not add any fish until your tank is properly cycled, or they will die.

Good luck.

On 02/09/2017 at 10:02 AM, alons said:

I doubt it's bacteria bloom, bacteria need food (basically organic carbon based waste) to bloom, which clearly in an empty system you do not have.

My guess is some sort of substances extracted from the sand or rock, did you wash them well with water before you put them in?

Next step is to cycle your tank, which in your case may be 1-3 weeks, depends on size, do not skip this step, and don't worry about the clouded water.

Do not, and i repeat, do not add any fish until your tank is properly cycled, or they will die.

Good luck.

Yea i washed the rock before placing in the tank, sand wise i didn't.. tank seems okay after i added a tiny piece of prawn and cycled for 4weeks.

It's because your tank is using salt mix and there isn't any bacteria in the water. After a few weeks you will see diatom bloom. Shouldn't on the light when cycling. Anyway just put a dymax skimmer at least and chiller/fan. After 3 week you can change 30% of the water with nsw (bacteria inside) as is a small tank or saltmix but you need to dose bacteria. I dont recommendyou to put prawn inside as it really dirty your water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's because your tank is using salt mix and there isn't any bacteria in the water. After a few weeks you will see diatom bloom. Shouldn't on the light when cycling. Anyway just put a dymax skimmer at least and chiller/fan. After 3 week you can change 30% of the water with nsw (bacteria inside) as is a small tank or saltmix but you need to dose bacteria. I dont recommendyou to put prawn inside as it really dirty your water

Yea I have a dymax skimmer and a chiller running round the clock.. it's been 4 weeks alrdy and tank seems okay.. changed 25% water and added salt.. as for bacteria wise I'm using caribsea live sand so there should be bacteria in it already.. thnx for your input!! Still much to learn for me..

Just an updated..

It's week 5 now & I've added 2 clown fish into the tank.. both are eating well and happily swimming around their new tiny home..

However I got a question, is there anyway to get rid of the surface oil? I'm feeding the clownfish with Seachem marine flakes, and the food seem to generate quite abit of oil..

Just an updated..

It's week 5 now & I've added 2 clown fish into the tank.. both are eating well and happily swimming around their new tiny home..

However I got a question, is there anyway to get rid of the surface oil? I'm feeding the clownfish with Seachem marine flakes, and the food seem to generate quite abit of oil..

You can try to get surface skimmer or OF hydra Nano filter. But the space is too small. Maybe put more sponge at the filter compartment and lower the water volume so the oil can flow into the sponge ? :) picture of your tank please !

You can try to get surface skimmer or OF hydra Nano filter. But the space is too small. Maybe put more sponge at the filter compartment and lower the water volume so the oil can flow into the sponge ? picture of your tank please !

Hmmm alright will try to lower the water level and see how it goes..

9164fc675141212734524574b5230286.jpg

Use a sponge and go around the surface for now. Red bubble tip anemone. Haha I guess since you new don't get anemone first ba

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Alright I solved the issue, apparently I put too much filter wool hence restrict the water flow rate into the ios.. I reduce it and it all working well now..