Keeping Pulsing Xenia under control

frozenduck

Hey everyone, this is my first post, so be gentle on me.

I'll be starting my reef tank somewhere around next year, and i'm considering to keep some xenia in a zoa farm, am wondering if i can keep the xenia on an island, surrounded with corals with sweepers/stingers to keep them under control?

• SRC Member
Hey everyone, this is my first post, so be gentle on me.

I'll be starting my reef tank somewhere around next year, and i'm considering to keep some xenia in a zoa farm, am wondering if i can keep the xenia on an island, surrounded with corals with sweepers/stingers to keep them under control?

That works well, also keep them away from the glass. They can grow on the glass edges of your tank too if conditions are well

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Thanks for the prompt reply, will they detach themselves and float off to another area of the tank if they're unable to spread via creepers or runners?

Unlikely but not impossible, if something like a crab manages to somehow snip off and detach a small cluster it could float around the tank and settle elsewhere. These things don’t need a lot of light to grow either. But in my experience they only grow really fast once established for some time in your system

On 5/17/2018 at 12:44 PM, soggycookies said:

Unlikely but not impossible, if something like a crab manages to somehow snip off and detach a small cluster it could float around the tank and settle elsewhere. These things don’t need a lot of light to grow either. But in my experience they only grow really fast once established for some time in your system

Thanks for the help

• SRC Member
Aquarium owner warns over pulsing xenia coral risk
Is this real?
sound quite dangerous lei...

Yes. This is why it’s never a good idea to “cook” your rock, no matter what the internet may say hahaha. If there are zoas or palythoa or basically any kind of more toxic soft coral on it they will definitely emit toxic fumes when you boil them

• SRC Member

Like what @soggycookies bro said, zoas or palythoa will release palytoxin when they feel endanger...

but I read a few oversea forum they believe that pulsing xenia don't contain palytoxin, should be that guy accidentally do something to other coral that cause the palytoxin to be release...

I still planning to put the pulsing xenia as my 1st coral... :( hopefully they will investigate further and clear the truth... 

• SRC Member
Like what [mention=26369]soggycookies[/mention] bro said, zoas or palythoa will release palytoxin when they feel endanger...
but I read a few oversea forum they believe that pulsing xenia don't contain palytoxin, should be that guy accidentally do something to other coral that cause the palytoxin to be release...
I still planning to put the pulsing xenia as my 1st coral...  hopefully they will investigate further and clear the truth... 

Xenia doesn’t contain palytozin but it definitely is toxic in its own way. There’s a reason why most fish don’t try to eat it hahahaha

10 hours ago, soggycookies said:

Xenia doesn’t contain palytozin but it definitely is toxic in its own way. There’s a reason why most fish don’t try to eat it hahahaha

i assume, if we dont try anything funny that may "force the xenia into extinction" (eg, fragging them carelessly or even cooking them), they wont emit those toxins right?

• SRC Member
i assume, if we dont try anything funny that may "force the xenia into extinction" (eg, fragging them carelessly or even cooking them), they wont emit those toxins right?

If something in the aquarium threatens them they will probably release toxins in small amounts. All corals do, but they’re generally harmless to us unless it’s the more potent ones like palytoxin from zoas/palys. That said, if you’re worried about the toxins from corals, just wear gloves and if you’re really paranoid, a face mask

• 4 weeks later...