Magnetic Pumps

• SRC Member

hi all...i did a search in the forum but can't find anything....

anyone care to explain wats the diff between a cheap atman pump and a so called magnetic pump like Resun MD40?? i don't intend to buy any tunze or add any pumps into my tank(temperature problem), so need a strong pump to create the waves....issit a good idea to only use the return pump to create waves???

are ehiem pumps good enuf? my neighbour has spare and willing to sell to me at $60 but i dunno the model....he said it got it at $100++

mine is a 3ft X 1.5 X 2ft(height) tank...intend to modify the return flow to the center of the tank and point it slightly downwards...

• SRC Member
hi all...i did a search in the forum but can't find anything....

anyone care to explain wats the diff between a cheap atman pump and a so called magnetic pump like Resun MD40?? i don't intend to buy any tunze or add any pumps into my tank(temperature problem), so need a strong pump to create the waves....issit a good idea to only use the return pump to create waves???

are ehiem pumps good enuf? my neighbour has spare and willing to sell to me at $60 but i dunno the model....he said it got it at $100++

mine is a 3ft X 1.5 X 2ft(height) tank...intend to modify the return flow to the center of the tank and point it slightly downwards...

Got a suggestion for you.........instead of using powerheads or tunze, why not use another high rated return pump and link all 4 corners with the thinest pvc piping you can find and make each corner PVC piping with 3 outlet, top, middle, low.........that way you can have good circulation everywhere & higher cycle rate.

• SRC Member
If you try that top, middle and bottom. Once power failure you'll see that your floor is flooded :P

Unless you install check valve but that is prone to choking.

Exactly....please be careful....the check valve is not 100%......it only slow down the backflow......I have installed one and I can still see a very very small stream of water flowing back to the sump when simlating a power cut off. ;)

• SRC Member
Exactly....please be careful....the check valve is not 100%......it only slow down the backflow......I have installed one and I can still see a very very small stream of water flowing back to the sump when simlating a power cut off.

kschew,

can you show a pic of the check valve you are using. Just want to know the brand. Thanks.

The back-siphon problem during a power failure is easily taken care of, by drilling a hole in the PVC pipe just under the surface. Once the water drops to the hole, air is sucked in, and the siphon breaks.