Need advise on raising cleaner shrimp larvae...

Kalib

• SRC Member

Thought of trying my hand at raising cleaner shrimp larvae. Had always been toying with that idea but not seriously trying it yet.

Here's the 2 possible setups i have in mind:

- Sand + LR

- UGF

Reason i'm choosing between this 2 is that cleaner shrimp larvae are very fragile, so any filter outlets/inlets can damage them. I would probably have to find a way to reduce the bubble size at the UGF outlet.Any other ideas?

Food wise, i'm thinking of using enriched bbs. Cleaner shrimp larvae, once their born are capable of hunting small live prey. Any suggestions on other possible foods?

• SRC Member

So your suggestion is to place the cleaner shrimp thats pregnant into a breeding net, so once the larvae are born, they would be trapped in that net?

Mine always hatches, in fact my shrimps are pregnant almost all the time.

I'll suggest just having a mature sand bed and some liverock. Don't use the U.G as the current generated will be too strong. If it is possible use an air pump for internal water circulation. Limit it to one bubble every few secs to prevent over turbulence. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Cleaner fry won't feed on bbs untill they reach abt 4 weeks old.

You should start on a phytoplankton diet (something with a higher DHA profile) untill you reach the 1st or 2nd week then add in live rotifers into the diet then move onto bbs after the 1st or 2nd month.

If u keep phyto in the water- rotifers will feed on it & and enrich themselves while being stalked by the fry.

The larvae culture container should be as clean as possible - just a container with a bubbling airline is good enough - change 30%-50% of the culture volume everyday or every other day with your main tank water . DO NOT USE NEW SALTWATER.

Rotifers is your best bet, and easy to keep a live supply going. A few ppl here are culturing them, getting a starter culture from them to grow your own is not hard.

Cleaner larvae settle out into mini shrimp at around 90-140 days(depending on the environment).

They are not the easiest to culture and be prepared for huge die offs or failed cultures altogether - but they are able to produce a batch of larvae monthly for you to try again soon. :)

• SRC Member

Interesting info you have there, never knew about the part that we should change the water with tank water and not new saltwater.

But at present i have to shelf this plan as school is reopening soon and i'm afraid i won't have time to look after the larvae. 1 of the cleaners has died last month and so i wasn't able to produce any larvae as i haven't replaced the dead partner yet.

I read they do store sperm so that they can have eggs in future, but unfortunately, this remaining cleaner has not produced any eggs at all.

Depending on whether i have time or not, i might still try it at the end of the year.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Unfortunately i didn't get a reply as the company isn't selling this anymore. Or was it soemthing else? :lol: Can't really remember, read about it somewhere.

Anyway, i think golden perals might be a possible substitute but that'll mean more water changes as it should be more polluting than using live phyto and rotifers.