Acro - White Band Disease

• SRC Member

White-band disease causes tissue to peel off the skeleton at a fairly uniform rate, beginning at the base of the colony and progressing towards the branch tips.

The band may be a few millimeters or up to 10 cm wide. Tissue loss is about 5 mm per day. Exposed skeleton is eventually colonized by algae. And yes, ur acro is a gonner <_<

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

WBD are yet to be determined by sciencetist but disease in corals is caused by a number of micro-organisms including bacteria, fungi, and cyanobacteria. Under normal conditions, corals co-exist happily with microbes which are abundant in the marine environment. However, when corals are stressed by high temperatures, increased nutrient concentrations or sediment, these microbes may cause disease.

WBD would be more like STN coz the tissue receeding slowly unlike RTN which is instantaneously.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Arrrgghhh....my pump to the chiller today broke down.....by the time i reach home today, discover my temp to be at 35c....my SPS is begining to peel off at the bottom!!! but the skeleton looks green instead of white but i guess its WBD.....

Would cutting of the white part helps since i've brought the temp back to 25c and there are still a fair bit of skin left....?????