Current Generators

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

just like to find out,

1. what brands of current generators do u ppl use?

me using eden model.. can't recall the model though.. it is a wave maker..

2. how many are u using?

me using only one

3. where and how do u direct the current?

anybody using the alternating current solenoid? i seen it on magazine.. u can set the duration and timing for it to come on.. but i dun have any idea where to get it and how much it cost? AT, u using that? u are the gadget man.. so, i thought u might have seen it and using it as well.. :P

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

hi,

1. maxi-jet, ocean free and a sweeping eden.

2. maxi-jet blowing across the back of my tank, ocean free pointed the the centre (both on the right side of the tank) and the sweeping one (on the opposite side) blowing from the back the the front.

Used to have like up to 4 powerheads in my tank at one time in addition to the main return pump. Very ugly.

Bought one of those oscillating powerheads but it stopped oscillating in a very short time! Probably not meant for saltwater use.

Upgraded to the most powerful powerheads that I can find.

Hated them as they are damn bulky, and the velocity is too high, capable of damaging corals and blowing up sandbed/shooting water out of the tank when the suction cups failed over time. Yes it happened to me countless times.

IMO, powerheads fail to create turbulent flow that I wanted.

I have been investigating the ultimate surge/wave making devices for a long time.

There are two new products in the US market that have a lot of promise.

1. Wave2k

2. Reeftec

I wanted to get both for my tank but gave up on the wave2k as they are facing problems with the drive belt, the units are extremely bulky and their email customer service sucks IMO. They don't seem to understand my concerns about euro-bracing and when they did... it seems it takes up too much space as the unit has to leave a big gap due to the euro-bracing.

It's essentially a box with a motor on top that operates a plunger rod that rotates, bringing a plate up and down, forcing water in and out simultaneously through slit holes at the top and bottom at the front of the unit.

I decided to order the Reeftec unit which in principle, creates a wide cone-shaped current that is capable of creating random and turbulent movements that is not high velocity, making it very ideal for reef tanks.

The Reeftec unit is just a well made acrylic box housing housing a Little Giant pump PE-1, that is slightly modified to fit a plastic propeller into the impeller drive shaft. You have to order the pump seperately.

So if you want to have higher/lower flow, you get the corresponding pumps and the Reeftec units/propeller.

IMO, it can be modified quite easily if you are good with acrylic and can find the parts eg. drive dog and propeller easily. However, if you ask a shop to do up a similar unit, they will change an arm and leg for the effort. It's easier to order from Reeftec.

One of these units is currently in my old tank... and my corals and fishes, especially the tangs, love 'surfing' on the currents!

Two of these units on both ends of my tank should create a lot of turbulent random flow without hurting corals.

The Hayward actuating valves are very very very expensive... very bulky, noisy and not worth the trouble and the money to get the means to simulate tidal movements.

Two reeftecs on timers/wavemaking timer should be much more superior.

Whew! That must be the longest post I made! :lol:

• SRC Member

Wave2K is good and looks very natural if you have LPS and gorgonians. It can be a bit big and bulky so the unit doesn't look nice in the tank.

Tunze Turbelle Stream is similar to Reeftec except more expensive but more compact and comes with a guard over the impeller blades. Also you can hook it up to the Tunze controllers that cost a bomb.

Whatever turns you on! B)

Which leaves us with powerheads that generate noise and heat. I've used Ocean Free without problems and now I'm using a brand I have never heard before! Don't get those grey coloured powerheads made by SICC(not too sure), they have tiny tiny suction cups that don't hold at all. Ocean free uses 4 medium size suction cups.

Anyone here use dump buckets or surge devices?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

yeah.. AT, Reeftec is the one me talking abt.. forgot the name.. heheh.. u have to order from US?? how much is it?? so.. IYO, what u think is better? Reeftec or wave2k??

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Kel, I can't really give a good analysis on wave2k as I didn't get one.

The flow seems a lot more natural compared to other means of water movement devices. There is this pulling and pushing effect of water that you will understand once you are diving and you feel the surge dragging you back and forth.

That is the kind of movement wave2k does.

The downside is that the wave2k unit takes up a hell lot of space....!

Tanzy...

I don't think I will the extra budget to get the reeftec clone, ie commercial version by Tunze... anyway... even if i bought the tunze turbelle stream, I will want it hidden by rocks... so it defeats the purpose already.

I was thinking of building a surge device... actually... but that should be phase 2 of my project! ;)

• SRC Member

AT,.. perhaps u might want to consider DIY??? using timer or solenoid?? me not too good in electrical equipments... just thought of it as an alternatives.... always looking for ways to DIy if possible and of course, save costs.... :P

spoke to Hon abt my pending tank (still on drawing board)... agree with him that divider tanks are pretty difficult to do and especially when my pending tank is gonna act as a divider column tank.. and to add on the surge or current makers, it is gonna take up lots of space.. after seeing your tank, me considering shifting the overflow out of the tank.. still trying to figure how to go abt doing it.. sigh :( ....

btw, have u seen anybody with that sort of tank? perhaps can ask for advice...