Fluorescent or Power Compact???

szesteve

• SRC Member

I'm running a 10gallon tank, 12 inches high.

I'll be getting lights soon and the LFS here recommended me to go with fluorescent because of the concern that the water may heat up too fast with power compact.

I was also told that because I'm using fluorescent, it will limit the type of corals I can have.

What would you all recommend? The room temperature gets to 26 degrees maximum but most of the time it hovers at approximately 24 degrees or lower.

My tank temperature now without lights is 24 degrees.

• SRC Member
I'm running a 10gallon tank, 12 inches high.

I'll be getting lights soon and the LFS here recommended me to go with fluorescent because of the concern that the water may heat up too fast with power compact.

I was also told that because I'm using fluorescent, it will limit the type of corals I can have.

What would you all recommend? The room temperature gets to 26 degrees maximum but most of the time it hovers at approximately 24 degrees or lower.

My tank temperature now without lights is 24 degrees.

i think with your room temp. getting a power compact might not be a problem....without my fan on and having 2x36W on a 2 footer, my tank temp at most raise to 3 degree above room, with fan able to keep it to room temp.....and the tube is very near the water (about 4 cm off the surface)...

switch to chiller because the room temparature during the day can be as high as 30C.... :P

• SRC Member

use power compact better , and get a fan to cool the water

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

how you maintain your temp so low? your tank in aircon room all day ah? :P anyway, 12 inches PL will be enough lah... when i had my PLs last time, temp never got higher than 28degrees. With the heat nowadays, better use fans to blow across your water surface. :)

wow, since u are in canada with the blessing of lower room temp, i think it will be better to get pl rather than fl... with pl u can get to keep more light demanding coral rather than just mushroom ....

but i think t5 will be the best if u worried a lot about heat problem in due time ... get a fan to blow across the surface of the water surface , temp should not be a prob...

i use 2 x 55w pl with 2 x 20w t5 for my 2 feet tank ... temp hover around 27 to 27.5 with a big fan blowing across the water surface ...

imo, fl is very inefficient.... actually depend on what u wanna keep lah...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

steve... think you can get a better lighting than t5 there.... VHO tubes... aka Very Highh Output tubes... It's not available in SIngapore but they should have it in the staets and canada...

Live and Let Live

er , i on my light for min seven to eight hours a day .... and all my corals are doing fine ....ya i think i will be better if u get the 55w pl instead of 28w ... brighter better

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10