pricing for starphire glass????

zorden

IMHO, this glass provided by Singapore Safety Glass might be in the same grade or even better than starphire or optic white.

LUXAR ANTI-REFLECTIVE GLASS

LUXAR is an anti-reflective coated glass that provides improved visual transmission, picture clarity and reduced glare with its very low residual reflection. Traditional glass reflects about 8% of the incident light. LUXAR, however, reflects only about 0.5% of the incident light; allowing 99.5% of light to pass through for presentation of information and merchandise without unwanted reflections or mirror-like effects. LUXAR is most commonly used for shop fronts, stadium VIP lounges, control rooms, scenic restaurants, animal enclosures, picture frames, PC monitors and information display panels.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

SSG's Anti-reflective glass is just that - anti-reflective. It is like multi-coated lenses. You can actually see the coating if you look at certain angles, just like the multi-coating on camera lenses or glasses. It is definately less reflective but I don't think the coating will withstand the marine environment.....plus it is about 7 times more expensive than their Diamante low-iron! :o

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

SSG's Anti-reflective glass is just that - anti-reflective. It is like multi-coated lenses. You can actually see the coating if you look at certain angles, just like the multi-coating on camera lenses or glasses. It is definately less reflective but I don't think the coating will withstand the marine environment.....plus it is about 7 times more expensive than their Diamante low-iron! :o

thxs for the info. can't seem to find the diamante low iron glass u were talking abt in their website.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

:off: My B744 cockpit windshields are hydoparabolic(if I spell it correctly) are made by PPG! :)

Side windshield are lined with a layer of gold (does not affect light transmission)and connected to a heater circuit to provide heat to the windshield to prevent icing up.

• SRC Member

thxs for the info. can't seem to find the diamante low iron glass u were talking abt in their website.

Not sure if they still have it on their site....haven't been there for a while...but it should be.

Want cheap low iron glass? Get China made one - only 20% of the price of SSG's but can't vouch for the quality! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Just some info:

Most merchant now do not take new stock once their current stock of Starphire runs out. Starphire is made by company called PPG in the USA. The other option is use OPTIC WHITE which is made by another company in the UK. The quality of the optic white is 1 grade below that of starphire.

I have contact for tank maker that can get starphire glass and uses DC795 and make tank exactly aquatechnic style where the gap is at leat 2 mm silicone. Anyone interested can PM me.

is this Optic White as strong as normal glass or starphire?

how well can it torlerate scratching? guess there is a lot of scratching to do when removing coraline.... :thanks:

• SRC Member
:off: My B744 cockpit windshields are hydoprabolic(if I spell it correctly) are made by PPG! :)

Side windshield are lined with a layer of gold (does not affect light transmission)and connected to a heater circuit to provide heat to the windshield to prevent icing up.

:off: Hey Wei Soon, my friend has access to a surplas Hunter windshield.....think that will make a good tank? :eyebrow::lol:

McGrory Glass Inc and some other glass makers/suppliers listed aquariums as one of the applications for Luxar glass. Glass thickness of Luxar is provided up to 12mm. is there a possibility of replacing the starphire glass wif Luxar glass? of i coz i dunno whether the feasibility is there, as i do not know the stress yield on Luxar and the price compared to starphire. :peace:

McGrory Glass Info on Luxar

Technical info on Luxar

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Boxfish

Whether can withstand scratching or not, think better ask AT as my tank is still in the process of setting up. Myself getting to be like marinebetta......taking a long time. :lol:

:off: Have a contact from a glass merchant for a surplus 8mm starphire glass selling at a very good price (Half price). Who wants can PM me. Will be good for a small tank.

• SRC Member
McGrory Glass Inc and some other glass makers/suppliers listed aquariums as one of the applications for Luxar glass. Glass thickness of Luxar is provided up to 12mm.

McGrory Glass Info on Luxar

Technical info on Luxar

Yup, you can pick all kinds of glass for the anti-reflective coating to be applied onto, including low iron. Just think the micron thickness anti-reflective coating will not be strong enough to resist etching by marine organisms and the corrosive nature of salt water.

If you want to see a comparison between regular low iron and anti-reflective, I have the samples with me ;)

Yup, you can pick all kinds of glass for the anti-reflective coating to be applied onto, including low iron. Just think the micron thickness anti-reflective coating will not be strong enough to resist etching by marine organisms and the corrosive nature of salt water.

If you want to see a comparison between regular low iron and anti-reflective, I have the samples with me ;)

:off: wld very much like to take a good look and compare the difference. but still stuck in japan till dec. :(

btw, visit lfs at Ueno today........ Hikaru Aquarium....... nothing fantastic ........ :nc: even iwaki pumps here r more ex than spore and almost twice of the price in HK. :cry:

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
btw, visit lfs at Ueno today........ Hikaru Aquarium....... nothing fantastic ........ :nc: even iwaki pumps here r more ex than spore and almost twice of the price in HK. :cry:

:off: Hikaru looks better on their ads! Only thing interesting when I was there was the middle bottom tank where they had many full size clown tangs zooming around!

Nothing is cheap in Japan....and don't forget they are 110V!