When will be the best time to test Ph etc.

• SRC Member

Doesn't really matter for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates since they don't fluctuate very much over the day. Anyway, ammonia and nitrite are suppose to be undetectable at any time.

Calcium and alkalinity should be measured before lights on and just after lights off.

Preferably, pH should be measured over the whole day to give you a range of values.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
:thanks: I was told that night time Ph level will be slightly lower then day time.

Yes.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Accourding to (Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook. by. Dr Robert J. Goldstein)

Day time Ph level will rise up to around 8.4 and night time down to around 7.8 to 8.0.

It really confused me.

So what time will be the best to test and add Ph to the water? if say I add Ph to 8.3 during the night will it over shoot the recommended level during the day?

Please advice. :thanks:

• SRC Member
Accourding to (Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook. by. Dr Robert J. Goldstein)

Day time Ph level will rise up to around 8.4 and night time down to around 7.8 to 8.0.

It really confused me.

So what time will be the best to test and add Ph to the water? if say I add Ph to 8.3 during the night will it over shoot the recommended level during the day?

Please advice. :thanks:

Hi Bernard,

The fluctuation of pH really depends on the hardness or dKh of your water.

The higher the dKH , the less the pH fluctuate.

For a start , its safe to measure pH before your day cycle(lights) turns on, and right before it turns off. You will get full range of what the fluctuation is like.

Remember to measure dKH as well.

My two cents hope it help.

• SRC Member

Hi Bernard,

The fluctuation of pH really depends on the hardness or dKh of your water.

The higher the dKH , the less the pH fluctuate.

For a start , its safe to measure pH before your day cycle(lights) turns on, and right before it turns off. You will get full range of what the fluctuation is like.

Remember to measure dKH as well.

My two cents hope it help.

Hi Huanjie

I got a 8.0Ph during the day with light on and a 9dKh. and night time got a around 7.8Ph and 10dKh at light off. is this normal or I need to do some thing about it?

My tank set up on the 19 april' 04 and haven't do a water change yet.

My water parameter is,

Po4 = 0 (Frizt Po4 Remover to control)

No2 = 0 (Seachem Matrix to control)

No3 = 0 (Seachem Matrix to control)

Nh3/Nh4 = 0 (Seachem Matrix to control)

Ca = 380

Mg = 1440

Ph = 7.8 - 8.0

Kh = 9 - 10

And do you have any idea which brand of a Ph pen meter will be best to go for?

Pls advice if there is any problem.

:thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi Huanjie

I got a 8.0Ph during the day with light on and a 9dKh. and night time got a around 7.8Ph and 10dKh at light off. is this normal or I need to do some thing about it?

My tank set up on the 19 april' 04 and haven't do a water change yet.

My water parameter is,

Po4 = 0 (Frizt Po4 Remover to control)

No2 = 0 (Seachem Matrix to control)

No3 = 0 (Seachem Matrix to control)

Nh3/Nh4 = 0 (Seachem Matrix to control)

Ca = 380

Mg = 1440

Ph = 7.8 - 8.0

Kh = 9 - 10

And do you have any idea which brand of a Ph pen meter will be best to go for?

Pls advice if there is any problem.

:thanks:

Hi Bernard,

Wow, you have very good parameters !

General accepted range for pH is 8.2 to 8.4, doesnt mean out of the range means trouble, but keep it within the range will make your LS happy :)

kalk is one of the most common thing to use to maintain the water, as you can maintain Ph, dKh and calcium all at one goal.Maybe you can start by experimenting a little kalk with top up water and see how much your tank need.

but dose with care, the damage done by big swing in parameters seems to be larger than having parameters slightly out of range...

For pH test pen, me no expert,tried the Eco pen, but doesn't work for me, so got a taiwan made ph Meter that reading the pH in real-time, probably one of my best investment. no more hassle in measuring pH.(only occasional calibration.

• SRC Member

Hi Bernard,

Wow, you have very good parameters !

General accepted range for pH is 8.2 to 8.4, doesnt mean out of the range means trouble, but keep it within the range will make your LS happy :)

kalk is one of the most common thing to use to maintain the water, as you can maintain Ph, dKh and calcium all at one goal.Maybe you can start by experimenting a little kalk with top up water and see how much your tank need.

but dose with care, the damage done by big swing in parameters seems to be larger than having parameters slightly out of range...

For pH test pen, me no expert,tried the Eco pen, but doesn't work for me, so got a taiwan made ph Meter that reading the pH in real-time, probably one of my best investment. no more hassle in measuring pH.(only occasional calibration.

Care to share which brand Ph pen you're using and where to get and cost?

Which brand of Kalk will you recommend? :thanks:

• SRC Member
Care to share which brand Ph pen you're using and where to get and cost?

Which brand of Kalk will you recommend? :thanks:

I tried the Eco pen, but reading not accurate, I might be the unlucky one .

Last check PetMart selling another brand (can't remember) at around 60 - 70.

If you pay like another 50 ( the price was like a year old liao dunno still valid :) ) you can get a Taiwan made brandless pH meter. Which instead of testing you can monitor your pH real time while it change....

• SRC Member

I tried the Eco pen, but reading not accurate, I might be the unlucky one .

Last check PetMart selling another brand (can't remember) at around 60 - 70.

If you pay like another 50 ( the price was like a year old liao dunno still valid :) ) you can get a Taiwan made brandless pH meter. Which instead of testing you can monitor your pH real time while it change....

So Petmart have it. thanks, will drop by to have a look.