Harlequin Shrimp Eggs?

TTBoy

• SRC Member

Wah piang, yr harlequin sooooo pretty, beh tahan ah!!!

When i get a refugium MUST buy a pair and try....aaaaargh so nice! I just saw them in action on the Blue Planet DVD; so funny!

Btw, i think shrimps carry their eggs with them right? Dont think they'd shed it together with the moult? :unsure:

• SRC Member

Thats what i thought too abt the eggs. But i stirred it around and they all stick together like a bunch of grapes.

How do they release the eggs?

I wld suggest that anyone buying harlequins to put it in the refugium. Else u wont see them at all.

I initially put the pair in the main tank with a star fish, all disappeared within a day. Prob. drag the star fish into hiding.

Only after abt 5 days both appeared running around looking for food.

So decided to catch them and put in refugium. In this way, u can tell when their food will run out.

The bigger one is already abt 4cm. I guess its the constant supply of "food" kek kek :evil:

• SRC Member

ttboy, really nice pair ... :yeah:

This info is taken from Saltwater Aquarium

Other Common Names: Clown Shrimp, Painted Shrimp, and Dancing Shrimp.

Hawaiian Name: None

Scientific Name: Hymenocera picta or Hymenocera elegans

Source Info: Stan & Debbie Hauter, Marine Depot Live, and in reference to Simon & Schuster's Guide To Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Fishes, and Nathan Cope's Shrimps For The Tropical Marine Aquarium article.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Identification

This truly is one of the most stunning and beautiful Shrimps to be found in tropical waters. The body is of a pinksih-white or white color, splashed with large purple-edged pink spots, and sometimes reddish or light orangish toned looking spots. The claws are tapered and striped with purple bands as well. The eyes are on stalks, and the antennae are of a leaf shape because they are flattened.

This shrimp remains very small, only reaching an average length of one for specimens in the Indian Ocean region, and up to almost two inches from Pacific regions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Characteristics

This is a very shy, mild tempered shrimp, as well as delicate and sensitive. It prefers hard rocky or coral substrates, rich with lots of hiding places. During daylight hours it keeps hidden and only goes out to feed at twilight hours, or complete darkness. It is almost always found in pairs with the female being the larger of the two.

To help with proper molting of this shrimp, supplemental iodine should be added to the system. Like with all invertebrates, this shrimp is sensitive to copper sulfate and high nitrate levels.

Diet

The Harlequin Shrimp's diet consists solely of the tube feet of Echinoderms in the Starfish Family. In Hawaiian waters we know that when you find a Harlequin Shrimp, the small Linkia species of Comet or Blood Spotted Starfish will usually be close by. This is its primary food source, but in some rare cases the Harlequin may accept other aquarium foods. Unless you have a good supply of starfishes for this shrimp to live on, and they are not particular of what kind, it does not do well in captivity. Don't keep any prized starfishes in the same tank with it